Steph update

A new forum for discussion about Davidson's professional athletes.
Cat Forever

Re: Steph update

Post by Cat Forever » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:04 pm

The Warriors make not make the Play-In and they're definitely not going to win the championship this year. Steph realized that with finality when he kicked over the chairs after their victory over the Magic.

Can Steph win another championship before he retires? Not with Draymond as a dominant member of the team. And not if it depends on Klay being a reliable scorer ...Klay is just too inconsistent to help in a 7 game series against top competition. A great game from Klay now is usually followed by a couple of games where he diasappears or shoots the Warriors out of a win. It's time to blow up the dynasty trio after this season ends (which probably won't be very long from now).

Draymond is an embarrassment, The owners, Kerr, and Steph have been way too easy on him. We've seen how he repays their loyalty. He is an incorrigible nut case. He won't or can't change. He cannot be counted upon. He's past his prime. Giving him a 4 year contract was an act of stupidity.

Moody, Jackson-Davis, Podz, and Kuminga are talented enough to play on a championship team led by Steph. Especially if Wiggins gets his head right and his dad stops jerking their family around with his addictions. If they can draft or trade for a defensive power forward who can shoot enough from the outside to keep the floor spaced they'll be set. The young players will need at least another year of experience to be playoff ready.

Maybe a championship when Steph is 37 or 38? If Kerr doesn't agree to blowing up the roster and to getting the younger players the experience they need ... Steph will finish his career on a mediocre team just like they have this season.
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:43 pm

Could not watch the game last night, but woke up this morning to see strange stat lines for both teams. W's with only one 20 point scorer (and it wasn't Steph) and a lot of contributions from many players; the Mavs with essentially only three scorers (Irving, PJ Washington and Luka).

You have to wonder if Steph is pushing his teammates to be involved and become a better team (as he always seems to do, albeit, with quiet humility). Whatever it was, it worked to get the Warriors a 5th victory in a row, and a three game lead on the Rockets for the final play-in spot.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:25 pm

Next up: Warriors at Rockets, Tomorrow night.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:37 am

https://www.basketball-reference.com/le ... areer.html

Steph is 790 ahead of Harden. Klay is 6th and just 8 behind the old Pacer.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:36 am

Trayce Jackson-Davis certainly made Cat Forever look like a coaching savant last night. TJD scored 20 on a variety of rolls to the rim, point-blank dunks, and putbacks. Moody and Pods were very good, also, in support of the outstanding Klay (Mr. 1st Half) and Steph (Mr. 2nd Half) who scored 29 apiece. All around dominance of the Rockets on the road.

The W's have dug themselves a hole, no doubt, but I would not want to be the coach who faced them, in either a single play-in game, or a seven game series.

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:55 am

If I placed bets, I would put $20 on this team to win everything. They are probably playing their best basketball in a season where there is not a purely dominant team. I do agree with your larger points about the direction of the team. But could Klay get hot enough? Could Dray keep it together? I tend to think Steph is a bit undervalued, as always. I’d get $700 if I won.

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:00 am

If TJ-D had more playing time starting 3 or 4 months ago the Warriors would not be in the precarious position in which they find themselves. If they finish in 9th or 10th place they will have to win two play-in games with no losses to make the playoffs. Since Kerr is going to rely on Draymond ... that means he'll have to play well with no ejections in two games. Klay will have to have back to back good performances along with Wiggins. Or ... Steph will have to have great games to pick up the slack. With their relative inexperience, the younger players shouldn't be expected to play leading roles to help Steph beat the Lakers, Kings, Suns, or Pelicans. But it will provide the opportunity for another new star (along with Kuminga) to be born ...

It would be great if the Warriors could climb into 7th or 8th place.
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

graveline

Post by graveline » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:09 am

If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:55 am

i77cat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:37 am
https://www.basketball-reference.com/le ... areer.html

Steph is 790 ahead of Harden. Klay is 6th and just 8 behind the old Pacer.
Oops. He was 108 behind Reggie Miller, not 8. Now it's 88. Klay will have to wait a bit to be 5th.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:08 am

Convincing win over the Lakers last night. The Big Three, The Splash Brothers, the Rookies, Maple Jordan, and other affiliated groups and individuals showed up and showed out in Los Angeles last night.

26 threes (at 63%!), 37 assists and 12 blocked shots, pretty much tells the story of the Dubs' dominance. Lakers were without Davis. Heck, even Draymond hit his first 5, 3-point attempts.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401585783

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:50 am

MrMac wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:08 am
Convincing win over the Lakers last night. The Big Three, The Splash Brothers, the Rookies, Maple Jordan, and other affiliated groups and individuals showed up and showed out in Los Angeles last night.

26 threes (at 63%!), 37 assists and 12 blocked shots, pretty much tells the story of the Dubs' dominance. Lakers were without Davis. Heck, even Draymond hit his first 5, 3-point attempts.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401585783
Some dizzying ball movement from the Dubs.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:20 am

The OGs were great.

I saw several plays where Kuminga could have taken shots or made drives but instead deferred to his vets who were red hot. He's learning to play and he's becoming a very high IQ player at age 21! Three blocks for TJ-D! Podz (also 21 and younger than Kuminga and Moody 21 too) was great in his 20 minutes.

The near future for the Warriors this year remains precarious ... but the next couple of years should be very, very good for Steph's career home stretch.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:33 pm

Steph was 6-6 from 3. That qualifies as highly efficient.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:39 pm

Surprising to me, 24 times NBA players have made more than 6 threes in a game w no misses. On the list is noted Tarhole sharpshooter Sam Perkins, who once went 8-8.

JCDC

Post by JCDC » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:39 am

The Dubs keep winning - three-way tie for eighth place.