Welcome Zach Laput!

2018 A10 Champions!
Cat Forever

Re: Welcome Zach Laput!

Post by Cat Forever » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:10 am

Welcome Zach Laput!

"Northeast 10 Academic Honor Roll". I'd guess he's smarter than the "journalist" who quoted him with the grammar flub. Let's give this outstanding young man the benefit of a doubt and assume a misquote. I've heard grammar mistakes from some of Davidson's most famous graduates which have passed without criticism and even a few on this board of all places ... and probably some by me :oops: .

There are probably hundreds of D1 schools which would have welcomed him with open arms. He chose Davidson. We should feel honored. We probably outbid them with NIL money ...
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:24 am

You guys are vicious when I make a typo.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:25 am

Airball50 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:02 am
Hope his grammar gets gooder soon.
Redundant posts much?
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

bagelcat

Post by bagelcat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:35 am

I thought I remembered someone playing at Bentley a long time ago. I remembered him because he was listed in Street and Smith Magazine, which we meticulously studied back in my student days for its listing of high school players.

Maybe I should have been studying something else, but whatever.

Sure enough. From Basketball Reference:

Andy Kupec
Andrew Kupec

Position: Guard

6-1, 175lb (185cm, 79kg)

in Syosset, New York us

College: Bentley College

Draft: Boston Celtics, 10th round (21st pick, 226th overall), 1983 NBA Draft

Career Length: Rookie

Both of his brothers were starting QBs at the University of North Carolina. One of them went on to work for UNC and famously had a dalliance with Tyler Hansbrough's mother, a former Miss Missouri. Some of their trips were paid for with Athletic Dept. funds.

JerseyLawyer

Post by JerseyLawyer » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:49 am

I heard the the "dalliances with Tyler Hansbrough's mother" list is a pretty long one. . .

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:49 pm

I like his grammar. Grampar too. Plus, he's from Bentley and they make great cars.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:16 pm

I think it is odd that we would take the "high road" and not retire a players' jersey until they complete their degree but we our now bringing in athletes who have no possibility of getting a Davidson diploma? :shock:

Maybe the athletic staff should make a public statement regarding our policies or at least issue a press release.

The education component is the only way to control some of this current abuse. Many schools will just jump in for titles and glory. I didnt think we would be one of them.

Maybe I am wrong but on the surface this is a poor move that waters down the value of a Davidson education.
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

Airball50

Post by Airball50 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:20 pm

Cat Forever wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:10 am
Welcome Zach Laput!

"Northeast 10 Academic Honor Roll". I'd guess he's smarter than the "journalist" who quoted him with the grammar flub. Let's give this outstanding young man the benefit of a doubt and assume a misquote. I've heard grammar mistakes from some of Davidson's most famous graduates which have passed without criticism and even a few on this board of all places ... and probably some by me :oops: .

There are probably hundreds of D1 schools which would have welcomed him with open arms. He chose Davidson. We should feel honored. We probably outbid them with NIL money ...
Accused of being a journalist! Badge of honor! (Though I haven’t fired a verb in combat for nearly 20 years.)
Last edited by Airball50 on Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:21 pm

Acorn wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:50 am
Laput looks like an excellent player. I’m sure he’s a nice, smart guy. I don’t have a problem taking someone from a D2 school (and Bentley is USNWR’s #1 “regional university” in the North).

But I’m pretty uncomfortable with having players who (1) will be at Davidson for only one year maximum, or (2) are not degree-seeking student athletes. He’s both (unless I’m misreading something).

Davidson is allowing these kids to come and be part of the Davidson community. He's already got a college degree. He's got another year of eligibility. Sounds like a great fit. We have to change a bit to survive. This seems one way to do it.
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:23 pm

It's weird for sure. The new normal?

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:24 pm

Airball50 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:41 am
Dude needs to work on his grammar.
Really, dude?
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:27 pm

Having multiple residents of the Pines enrolled in my classes despite having already received their college degrees and having no intention to graduate from Davidson certainly did not devalue my diploma or my experience.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:44 pm

I don’t think Davidson MBB wouldn’t survive if the College required members of the athletic teams to be degree-seeking students. Yale won in the NCAA tournament with zero grad students because the Ivy League doesn’t allow them (hence all the Ivy guys seeking grad transfers for their Covid year). And Yale wasn’t even the best team in their conference this past season. Davidson typically has held itself to a higher standard than “what is permissible.” I hope there are a lot fewer sanctimonious comments on here about how DC and its MBB program are so morally superior.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:45 pm

Wildcat92 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:27 pm
Having multiple residents of the Pines enrolled in my classes despite having already received their college degrees and having no intention to graduate from Davidson certainly did not devalue my diploma or my experience.
Never heard of this and was not aware it happened.

citycat

Post by citycat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:45 pm

He has only played 3 seasons. He had one year cancelled by COVID. Could he not have 2 years of eligibility due to losing one year to COVID?

Foster Loyer had a college degree when he entered Davidson. It would not be a surprise to see Zach play 2 years and earn a Davidson degree.