No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
catnhat

Post by catnhat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:17 pm

John "Eddie" Haskell was our LF and clean-up hitter in 1980. He's now a poly-sci professor (at Georgetown I believe). A generation of DC alums who went to Chapel Hill for law school knew his father who was a professor there.

Ursa Midmajor

Post by Ursa Midmajor » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:45 pm

dorp wrote:
stevelee wrote:riadha msaidizi
At times like these, we need more Diane Lane pictures.
I think we could just throw a couple pictures of our prez the Tar Holes way.
"No one is Steph Curry” ~ Draymond Green

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:11 pm

catnhat wrote:John "Eddie" Haskell was our LF and clean-up hitter in 1980. He's now a poly-sci professor (at Georgetown I believe). A generation of DC alums who went to Chapel Hill for law school knew his father who was a professor there.
John taught at Davidson while Kazee was on sabbatical, '87-88-ish.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

citycat

Post by citycat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Our team was named "The Beavers" because a hall mate insisted the hall be silent around 3 PM on weekdays so he could watch Leave it to Beaver on Channel 36.

Someone spotted an ad for Eddie Haskell tee shirts in National Lampoon and we had our jerseys. The shirts had a picture of Eddie's face with "Eddie" under it in script.

After one of our games an opponent asked us who Eddie was. When he was told, he was happy because he thought Eddie might have been a hall mate who died.

The shirts did not hold up well, so we ordered green and yellow polyester shirts, a la the A's, for the '75 season. I have mine. ursa has his, too, I bet.

Paul Haskell was/is a renowned Professor of Trusts and Estates. He wrote a textbook on the subject. He "taught" me Real Estate Finance at UNC-Chapel Hill Law School. He talked in front of the class, I took a bunch of notes, and received my usual grade. The fault was not his. He was happy to meet Davidson alums. Maybe I should have used a Red and Black bluebook for the exam

My favorite memory of him from law school was watching him argue with "Baseball Bill", a fellow law student who had committed The Baseball Encyclopedia to memory, at a UNC baseball game. They disagreed over the Red Sox's lineup in 1950. They could not agree who played leftfield. Prof. Haskell said it was Billy Goodman, substituting for the injured Ted Williams, while Baseball Bill said Ted Williams played most of their games in left, with Goodman being a utility player. Goodman won the batting title that year.

Bill ended the argument by reciting how many games played, where, and how many at bats each member of the 1950 Red Sox had. Bill was not a Red Sox fan. He grew up in The Bronx, graduated magna cum laude from Columbia, and was a Yankees' fan.

After Bill finished naming the entire roster's games and stats, Prof. Haskell said, "But I was there!"

Bill was better on The Baseball Encyclopedia, but Prof. Haskell had it all over him in Trusts and Estates.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:45 pm

Waitress wrote:
catnhat wrote:John "Eddie" Haskell was our LF and clean-up hitter in 1980. He's now a poly-sci professor (at Georgetown I believe). A generation of DC alums who went to Chapel Hill for law school knew his father who was a professor there.
John taught at Davidson while Kazee was on sabbatical, '87-88-ish.
http://gai.georgetown.edu/john-haskell-ph-d/

Haskell is the only member of the Government Affairs Institute that doesn't list his undergraduate education.
Last edited by Waitress on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:01 pm

If he came to Georgetown in 2009 it may have been wise not to advertise his DC connection.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:25 am

"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:29 am

He should have gone pro.

TOK

Post by TOK » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:48 am

He should have gone pro.
Based on the "compensation" he received in Chapel Hill, I think he already did go pro. :wink:

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:01 pm

Money from parking tickets is the 4th biggest revenue item in UNC-CH's budget after $ from the legislature, in state tuition, and out of state tuition. They are really serious about issuing tickets and collecting them.

One year at UNC-CH, I parked on one side of a street at 7:30 AM and then moved my car in the middle of the day because parking was banned on that side of the street after 1:00 PM. I made a U-turn and parked on the other side of the street, where parking was legal from 1-6 or so.

My 11:00 AM class ran long one day. As I was walking down the street to move my car, I saw a Parking Enforcement officer in a golf cart putting tickets on the cars on my side of the street. I ran as fast as I could, but the Gendarme beat me by a minute or so.

The ticket had an appeal date. On that day, I went to the office and showed the Appeals Officer my right foot, which looked like a wolf had gnawed it. (I was having stubborn warts removed from the heel. I hobbled when I walked for a few months.) Had I been healthy, I would have beaten the golf cart.

The Hearing Officer waived the fee and told me to call him and let him know if I received any similar tickets.

At the end of the semester, my schedule changed and they changed the parking hours on the road. I broke down and bought a parking permit for a remote lot that also gave me a bus pass.

12 tickets in a few months is a lot, but who would get a parking permit for a rented car?

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:31 pm

If I were to rent cars and provide them to a high-profile athlete, I'd certainly give the athlete some extra cash and instruct him to purchase a parking pass. It might help mask the initial indiscretion.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

El_Gato_Loco

Post by El_Gato_Loco » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:54 am

"Davidson could win. But, knowing Coach K, there isn't a doubt in my mind that Duke will lose."

- Duke fan message board.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:37 pm

dorp

Post by dorp » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:39 am

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:05 pm

Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ