Post by stevelee » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:30 pm

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

Words to live by.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

El_Gato_Loco

Post by El_Gato_Loco » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:30 pm

Not sure if this should go in the Texas thread or this one:
http://gawker.com/5-year-old-texas-boy- ... 1450688178
"Davidson could win. But, knowing Coach K, there isn't a doubt in my mind that Duke will lose."

- Duke fan message board.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:53 pm

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat wrote:Toots Shor's ... Yogi Berra met Ernest Hemingway there one night. Hemingway was introduced to Berra as a famous writer. Yogi replied: "What paper you with, Ernie?"
Kansas City Star and the Toronto Star
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:03 am

Waitress wrote:
MakeIt-TakeIt Cat wrote:Toots Shor's ... Yogi Berra met Ernest Hemingway there one night. Hemingway was introduced to Berra as a famous writer. Yogi replied: "What paper you with, Ernie?"
Yes, but before Yogi was born.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:56 am

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat wrote:
Waitress wrote:
Yes, but before Yogi was born.
Yes.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:42 pm

Still no limit, but there's a poem.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschoo ... 05586.html
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

El_Gato_Loco

Post by El_Gato_Loco » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:57 pm

i77cat wrote:Still no limit, but there's a poem.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschoo ... 05586.html
Just to clarify, you don't think writing the poem was stupid do you? I'm hoping you posted this because the way the school treated the student is incredibly stupid.
"Davidson could win. But, knowing Coach K, there isn't a doubt in my mind that Duke will lose."

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:26 pm

I think the poem is called Stupid and I think the school's response was stupid. And illegal.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

El_Gato_Loco

Post by El_Gato_Loco » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:46 pm

i77cat wrote:I think the poem is called Stupid and I think the school's response was stupid. And illegal.
Fair enough. I only ask because I saw this story on another blog and the commentors all seem to think this student deserved what he got and that the school acted appropriately.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Really? That's weak. The school was crying about hazing and harassment because a kid read a poem in English class. Suspended him for 4 days and kicked him off the team. They'll be back-pedalling and apologizing soon.

raptorcat

Post by raptorcat » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:18 pm

I haven't really followed this thread as closely as I should, but since there's a smattering of courtroom-related stories, I want to relate one that happened to me last summer in my hometown courtroom. During one afternoon session, a guy came before me to enter a guilty plea to a low-level felony. He was out on bond and had been working; allegedly he'd not had time to change from his work clothes before he came to court. When the DA called out his name, he came up to the defense table to stand beside his harried, overworked public defender, who gave the guy a perfunctory handshake but barely glanced at his client.

The defendant was wearing a T-shirt that read (and forgive me for the explicit language): "Things That Make My Dick Hard," followed by a list of the things. I said, "Mr. Public Defender, have you seen your client's apparel?" He thought I was referring to the guy's shirttail hanging out, and said, "Sorry your Honor, I forgot to tell him to tuck his shirttail in before he came up to the counsel table." I said, "No, it's a bigger problem than mere slovenliness. Look at the writing on the front of his T-shirt." The P.D. craned his neck, squinted, then blanched, muttered profuse apologies to the Court, and hustled his client out of the courtroom. About thirty seconds later, the defendant reappeared, wearing his shirt wrong-side out.

The clerk, court reporter, and head bailiff all performed Google searches at the mid-afternoon break to see the list of "things". A few of them are bizarre, if you care to see the list:
http://www.spencersonline.com/product/t ... -hard-med1
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
"I can't be worrying about that sh*t. Life goes on, man."
- Jeff Bridges as The Dude in "The Big Lebowski"

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:09 pm

i77cat wrote:Really? That's weak. The school was crying about hazing and harassment because a kid read a poem in English class. Suspended him for 4 days and kicked him off the team. They'll be back-pedalling and apologizing soon.
Suspension? No. But if I'm the coach, that kid is no longer on my team.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

El_Gato_Loco

Post by El_Gato_Loco » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
i77cat wrote:Really? That's weak. The school was crying about hazing and harassment because a kid read a poem in English class. Suspended him for 4 days and kicked him off the team. They'll be back-pedalling and apologizing soon.
How did the coach find out about it? Either the school administration showed him the poem, or one of the kids teammates went and tattled... Either of those options kind of proves the kid's point.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:51 pm

El_Gato_Loco wrote:
Dr. Bliss wrote:
How did the coach find out about it? Either the school administration showed him the poem, or one of the kids teammates went and tattled... Either of those options kind of proves the kid's point.
Doesn't really matter how the coach found out. It's called "conduct detrimental to the team".
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

El_Gato_Loco

Post by El_Gato_Loco » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
El_Gato_Loco wrote:
Dr. Bliss wrote:
Doesn't really matter how the coach found out. It's called "conduct detrimental to the team".
Of course it matters. That is why evidence obtained illegally is not admissible in a courtroom.

If a student feels like the classroom is the place where he can be truthful and express himself, do we really want to crush that? Why would he ever care about his education again?

Perhaps the coach needs to have a conversation with him, but kicking him off the team and especially suspending him for an assignment where he expressed himself truthfully (I guess he should have lied) in what he apparently thought was a safe classroom environment is completely the wrong decision.

I guess the other side of the argument is.... FOOTBALL!!!