No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
TOK

Post by TOK » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:15 am

Contributions to political action committees are not tax deductible, but contributions to regular charities, I believe called 501 C3s in tax parlance, are deductible.

So a contribution to a 501 C3 that does good deeds for children would be tax deductible, but a contribution to a PAC that advocates/lobbies for children by contributing to campaigns for candidates that support their cause would not be tax deductible.

The gray area are the groups that don't contribute to campaigns directly but advocate.

One common dividing line I see each election cycle is at church on Sunday. Your priest/pastor isn't supposed to tell you who to vote for from the pulpit, but they can talk about the tenets of your faith that you should live by and leave it up to you to figure out which candidates live and will legislate in a manner consistent with this moral code.

If the lawyers out there understand our law to be different from what I have stated, please correct me. For years I have wondered why our pastors haven't just come out and said "You should n't vote for someone who believes that X is OK which is in violation of our faith's moral code. Now I think I understand why. I realize that there are some churches were this line is crossed, but I have never attended one where I have seen the line crossed.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:55 am

I am told that some local pastors did in fact tell their congregations not to vote for JFK because he was Catholic.

MadelastCut

Post by MadelastCut » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:32 am

I am always struck by the very deep antipathy felt by many folks toward the right, no the duty, of engaged citizenship. That is, to be a self governing Constitutional Republic, every able bodied citizen must advocate during election campaigns for principles of salutary governance, and for candidates who are in favor of these announced principles. Failure to be an active participant in election campaigns thereafter precludes the non-participant from griping about the failures of their elected officials. All what I have just said seems to constitute basic civics upon which we can all agree.

Now, it becomes controversial when an engaged citizen chooses to voluntarily work cooperatively with his/her fellow engaged citizens to marshal resources collectively for political advocacy. It perplexes me that this one act of citizen cooperation is viewed as turning a great public virtue into a destructive evil.

Turning to the citizen's right to participate in election politicing (fully independently - not in any way connected or cooperatively with a candidate's campaign organization) through anonymous donations - as with all charitable gifts to be tax deductible that contribution to a 501(c)(4) must be disclosed to the IRS on every annual tax return, which information by statute can not be disclosed publicly by the IRS under penalty of federal felony prosecution for any IRS employee doing so.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:48 am

TOK, that is my understanding. MLC was saying that the TP groups et. al. (including some liberal groups) were harmed by the delays because their contributors did not get tax deductions during the wait. That took me by surprise since I didn't think they would have got the deductions anyway.

During the 1960 presidential race, upon being asked about Norman Vincent Peale's publicly admonishing people to vote against Kennedy, Adlai Stevenson quoted his quip from his earlier race and said, "I find Paul appealing and Peale appalling."

In the 2004 presidential race, the majority of Roman Catholics voted for the United Methodist, and a majority of the United Methodists voted for the Roman Catholic.

BTW, yesterday I mailed two checks: one was a charitable gift, and one was a political contribution. The form sent with the latter acknowledged that I knew it was not deductible.

The third envelope I mailed was a form to our pension board naming DU as 80% beneficiary of my retirement account with them. The college would not receive any more money than they normally would otherwise through my will, as it is drawn. But by passing these funds directly to the college rather than through my estate, that means that people named in my will wouldn't have so much taxable income, not that there is likely to be that much.
Last edited by stevelee on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:58 am

Take the political crap elsewhere.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

dorp

Post by dorp » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:23 am

http://www.news-record.com/news/article_4d45b1d2-fc61-11e3-bdd9-0017a43b2370.html

There's stupid in here somewhere-

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:33 am

dorp wrote:http://www.news-record.com/news/article_4d45b1d2-fc61-11e3-bdd9-0017a43b2370.html

Healy :shock: Hope they at least got a flagrant 1.

71cat

Post by 71cat » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:47 am

DU fans will remember this place as being the location of the DU gathering for the SoCon Tournament the first year it was back in Asheville. I remember spilled beer, but no blood.
"That little sucker can shoot, man!"
Driesell, C. "Lefty" (1931-)

dorp

Post by dorp » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:35 am

71cat wrote:DU fans will remember this place as being the location of the DU gathering for the SoCon Tournament the first year it was back in Asheville. I remember spilled beer, but no blood.
There's a new Pig Pounder Brewery (http://pigpounder.com/) here in Greensboro. Maybe there's a connection?

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:29 pm

wildforthecats wrote:
dorp wrote:http://www.news-record.com/news/article_4d45b1d2-fc61-11e3-bdd9-0017a43b2370.html

Healy :shock: Hope they at least got a flagrant 1.
I think it's a red card. At least no one was bitten.

graveline

Post by graveline » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:42 pm

however they lost their Image
If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:55 am

Would love to get Raptorcat's input. Graveline, you could open a branch office in Broward Co.
"Tell me one other courthouse that at any time ever had three judges pending criminal charges, a fourth judge disbarred by the Supreme Court and another judge awaiting removal," Mr. Finkelstein said. "And that doesn't include the naked judge!"
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/28/us/in ... pe=article

This thread is a lot of fun.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

raptorcat

Post by raptorcat » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:49 pm

Wow. Not even Carl Hiaasen could have made that stuff up.
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
"I can't be worrying about that sh*t. Life goes on, man."
- Jeff Bridges as The Dude in "The Big Lebowski"

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:48 am

"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:03 pm

And more. She's filing suit against the school and the entire system. Good luck to her. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... h-carolina