No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
Speedy

Post by Speedy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:15 pm

Speedy

Post by Speedy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:07 am

MadelastCut

Post by MadelastCut » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:35 am

Again, all kidding aside, but first let me point out to Rapt - as I am forever precluded from participating in all Math Problem threads, I welcome a good ole summertime culture war policy debate.

To all others still reading this comment, despite my advice on "trigger warning" protection, I have not been offended in any way, except that HattedCat apparently thought I actually had accused him/her of making a threat. My semantic ploy there was to illustrate that any reader so disposed could subjectively misconstrue an author's word selection to find hurt wherein a reasonable man (oops!) standard would not so find.

So, Diane Lane stay away, for now at least; our goal should be, as Speedy asserts, to agree on the precise nature of the problem, so that we, the erudite few, of Camelot can work amicably to reach a consensus solution.

As so stated by SP: to represent DU well in the public sphere, we'd do well to avoid potentially hurtful speech wherever possible.

Again my response to this proposition is exclusively targeted at the merits of that statement, and would be exactly the same had it been proffered by e.g. either of my two favorite icons, Steff or Coach McK: all progress in civilization would end (and the world would be the dullest place imaginable) should adults self-censure every communicated word they write/utter in the futile attempt to appease the infinite capacity of a potentially infinite number of third party readers/listeners to take offense thereto. Enuff said, by me at least.

Swinette

Post by Swinette » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:34 pm

Great post, Speedy. Well stated. Been reading it over a couple of times. There's a lot there to consider. Many things that us males don't ever think could be happening. Thanks for saying it all.

jamesdhogan

Post by jamesdhogan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:06 pm

Charleston church shooting suspect Dylann Roof apparently had a history of saying racist things.

"I never heard him say anything, but just he had that kind of Southern pride, I guess some would say. Strong conservative beliefs," [his high school friend] said. "He made a lot of racist jokes, but you don't really take them seriously like that. You don't really think of it like that." (source)

This is why I side with the PC police a lot of the time. I don't think Stan is a misogynist. But it's a lot harder for the real misogynists to hide when they're the only ones making off-color jokes. The reason people tend to ignore behavior like what this Charleston guy exhibited is when it's so ubiquitous it's impossible to pick out as troublesome. If everybody's making racist jokes....
The artist formerly known as Freehold.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:07 pm

It was a nice post. Much nicer than the mean one a few pages back. And that mean one wasn't the meanest or most petty in this thread.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

MadelastCut

Post by MadelastCut » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:41 pm

FH: are you saying that should every non-homicidal, non-lunatic permanently refrain from off-color sexist jokes, the "pre-crime" police will thereby be able to early on identify the Dylann Roofs of this world and arrest them? For what exactly?

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:15 pm

MadelastCut wrote:FH: are you saying that should every non-homicidal, non-lunatic permanently refrain from off-color sexist jokes, the "pre-crime" police will thereby be able to early on identify the Dylann Roofs of this world and arrest them? For what exactly?
Obviously, the pre-cogs will have a much easier time identifying pre-crime and hopefully will be able to move on to thought crime. Actually wouldn't be a bad sci-fi novel. But what could we name it? "The Wildcat in the the High Castle"? "The Three Stigmata of Dr. Bliss"? "Conference Championships We Sell Wholesale"? "Do Wildcats Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:42 pm

Dr. Bliss dreams of electric sheep. Being as he has a vaguely Celtic ancestry.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:09 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:Dr. Bliss dreams of electric sheep. Being as he has a vaguely Celtic ancestry.
This thread needs a highjacking, which Dr. Bliss has assisted. Just curious how many Dickheads do we have on this site? And are any regular posters Vugs?

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:20 pm

"Electric sheep"...is that how we get electric blankets?

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:37 pm

MrMac wrote:"Electric sheep"...is that how we get electric blankets?
No, replicants.

WildCock

Post by WildCock » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:11 am

Steve Rodgers wrote:
Dr. Bliss wrote:Dr. Bliss dreams of electric sheep. Being as he has a vaguely Celtic ancestry.
This thread needs a highjacking, which Dr. Bliss has assisted. Just curious how many Dickheads do we have on this site? And are any regular posters Vugs?
I'm a long-time SF fan (dating back to the old Tom Corbett, Space Cadet TV show) but I have to confess my ignorance on this one: What's a Vug?
Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin

MadelastCut

Post by MadelastCut » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:55 am

Next to Stripes, it was her greatest role. And coulda been a great B.W.

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:46 am

WildCock wrote:
Steve Rodgers wrote:
I'm a long-time SF fan (dating back to the old Tom Corbett, Space Cadet TV show) but I have to confess my ignorance on this one: What's a Vug?
In Games Players of Titan, by Phillip K Dick, Vugs are a shape shifting alien life form from Titan. They can be identified and shooed away with Vug sticks. Atomic Rooster recorded a song called "Vug" way back in 69. The way the board has been behaving lately makes me think we need Vug sticks.
When I took a Fantasy/Sci-Fi English course from Cornwell we read some great stuff but in retrospect the course should have had some Phillip K in it. His stuff still resonates.