No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
seamac77

Post by seamac77 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:16 pm

..and submitted by a UNC professor.. not by a NC State fanatic.

MikeMaloy15

Post by MikeMaloy15 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:39 pm

It's a commentary on how far things have gone that it's considered "brave" for a UNC person to be willing to point out the obvious in public.

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:50 pm

Channel 18's sports had a nice story on Coach McKillop's 500th win that transitioned nicely into a reminder about the Davidson-UNCC game Wednesday. Everything was fine until the sports guy said the game would be in Halton Arena in Concord.

MikeMaloy15

Post by MikeMaloy15 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:52 pm

And isn't the game on Tuesday?

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:31 am

Let me get this straight, Wednesday in Concord at Lowe's Motor Speedway Arener?

MikeMaloy15

Post by MikeMaloy15 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:34 am

Yes, that's when they'll play the football game. I'm a little worried about the posts that will follow.

MadelastCut

Post by MadelastCut » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:55 am

Regrettably, OpEd author is wrong :oops: After having committed the premeditated murder of academic integrity, and then lied and cheated to conceal the heinous crime for 18 years, UNC is still eligible to win the NCAA title this season :shock: :? :evil: Money well spent.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:30 am

Gene Nichols is a former dean of UNC's law school. The legislature recently did away with one of his positions ( an ethics panel head?), maybe because he's a lefty politician- he ran for the senate while living in Colorado.

citycat

Post by citycat » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:26 am

The sportscaster probably gave the correct day for the game. I was so thrown by the Concord statement I may have misheard the day.

Nichol was head of a Center to study Poverty at UNC School of Law. The Board of Governors eliminated the Center, but it could not eliminate his tenured position. A UNC Law School alum donated money to create the Center so he would have a platform to launch his candidacy for President. Nichol became head of the Center when the donor resigned.

Nichol was Dean of the Law School, then Chancellor of William & Mary, but that did not work out, so he returned as a Professor at UNC School of Law.

He was a QB at FSU and Oklahoma State in the late '60s and early '70s. He's a wonderful guy to talk to at a reception.

stan

Post by stan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:27 pm

MadelastCut wrote:Regrettably, OpEd author is wrong :oops: After having committed the premeditated murder of academic integrity, and then lied and cheated to conceal the heinous crime for 18 years, UNC is still eligible to win the NCAA title this season :shock: :? :evil: Money well spent.
Not sure why the NCAA should be involved. Apparently, sports is the preferred vehicle for accountability for all wrongdoing of whatever kind. If a coach or athlete is involved however tangentially in any wrongdoing of any kind regardless of whether it has any nexus to sports competition, everyone demands that accountability be administered by a sports authority. I don't think that the NCAA, NFL, MLB, or college head coaches have established a track record of sufficient competency and integrity to have them serve as society's vehicle for enforcement, but I appear to be one of the few.

I think a lot of people have gotten confused over the years by players being suspended or benched by coaches for off field screwups. If I'm a coach of a college program, I have a rule that says it is against team rules to bring embarrassment to the program or do anything that makes it more difficult for the program to succeed. Violating the rule brings discipline. NOT because society needs the malefactor punished. Only because stuff that makes it harder to recruit or sell tickets needs to be discouraged. That's just about the best interests of the program.

Nowadays, people get their panties all bunched when a coach decides that his star player is only suspended for one game when arrested for shoplifting. As if society's discipline is the province of the coach to mete out. People. Shoplifting is punished by the court system. Embarrassing the program is for the coach to deal with. But people getting all pissed because a coach doesn't imprison his player, or the NCAA doesn't assume the role of national university accrediting agency plus state legislature ....

The NCAA has a hard enough time walking and chewing gum.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:51 pm

Is "content creation" what I did that time Mama asked me why I was out so late with my high school girlfriend?
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:48 pm

Imagine a domestic dispute where the guy is at fault and there is some amount of physical violence. Now imagine the couple some how reconciles and the guy appears to be sincere in his efforts to improve his conduct.

Some want a pro athlete in this position to be banned for a long time- maybe permanently. That hurts the woman in our hypothetical because her family's breadwinner is denied his livelihood and she is unlikely to have the ability to earn 7 digits.

The sports world has trouble achieving the proper balance between harshness and leniency. Society in general has the same problem. The legal system has the same problem.

moho73

Post by moho73 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:31 am

stan

Post by stan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:11 am

catnhat wrote:The sports world has trouble achieving the proper balance between harshness and leniency. Society in general has the same problem. The legal system has the same problem.
The sports world doesn't need to be in the business of punishment for actions outside the realm of sports.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

dorp

Post by dorp » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:05 pm