No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
rbarney

Marines

Post by rbarney » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:07 am

I totally agree with Kevin. However, I suspect his behavior is his own misinformed notion of what the Marines are all about. Would that more people still had to participate in the actual armed forces and not their fantasy version.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:08 am

kevin mcmahon wrote:This guy is a USNA grad, makes millions of dollars a year, has previous head coaching experience yet remains clueless. Meanwhile in Afghanistan, some 21 year old "kid" making less than 30K and leading a squad knows more about leadership than this insecure , immature "man" could ever fathom. He needs to be fired, he is an embarrassment.
Thank you. USMC trained and toughened here, and I can assure you that getting a young man to run through a hail of bullets is a hard task to accomplish with fear and intimidation as your leadership tools. If that young person is an intelligent college student, so much the harder. Respect, even (tough) love are attributes that good leaders cultivate, and that cause good subordinates to knock down brick walls on behalf of their superiors. They teach this stuff at the Naval Academy, I am sure. Perhaps the CofC coach should go back there for retraining...or at least call his good friend David Robinson to arrange for a "Class Transfusion" from him. In the meantime, "So long, we hardly knew ya'." And that was a problem....

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:31 am

Also, deriding players with references to negative perceived female charateristics; gay slurs; or criticsm of mothers, is nothing short of stupid at a predominately female, state school in a relatively liberal corner of the conservative South proves tbat tbis coach has no inkling of the culture there.

MadelastCut

Post by MadelastCut » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:37 am

It is indeed so obvious as to be not necessary to be stated here - but hey, when did that ever stop me - Coach McKillop: thank you again (25 times) for being the leader, mentor, teacher and a life long friend to everyone in the Davidson Community, and most particularly to the young lads who you so expertly mold into distinguished men and ambassadors of our College.

Whenever I get close to becoming complacent about our bb program's long standing success, it takes little more than reading about such a sad, self-inflicted wound as this ongoing debacle at CofC to be reminded of our eternal good fortune.

Long live The Coach - Stay healthy my friend.

MadelastCut

Post by MadelastCut » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:58 pm

Turning again away from the light toward the dark underbelly of college athletics, today's NY Post has an opinion piece entitled - NCAA, Good for Nothing. In this article, sports commentator Phil Mushnick rips UNCW a new one:

"Last month Luke Hager was told to take a hike, as his scholarship would not be renewed... Hager had created no, as coaches and broadcasters politely explain, "distractions". It even seems Hager was a legit student athlete on schedule to graduate.

But in the sick, twisted world of college athletics, Hager was expendable, disposable. UNCW's new head coach wanted/needed to make room for transfer players.

Hager as he told the Wilmington Star News: "I have been nothing but loyal to this program."

And that is how the school and the NCAA showed him what that was worth."

Do not know whether this embarrassment to the University system in Carolina is old news on this Board, but again was reminded that at DU loyalty and T.C.C. are a two way street for both student and school.

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:46 pm

The Wilmington Star News reports Hager is transferring to DII Hawaii Pacific, where he will be able to play immediately. His work at UNCW, where he was a Finance major, will transfer and he will graduate after 1 year. He can use his 2nd year there to finish the first year of their MBA program. (He's a redshirt Junior.)

Despite the seeming pleasant ending for Hager, this is not right. UNCW's new coach Yeatts has pulled the scholarship of another UNCW player, Nate Anderson. He will finish up at UNCW, paying his own way.

Coaches have an incentive to pull the scholarships of good students, because they will either finish up, like Anderson, or transfer, like Hager. Letting go of under-performing students hurts a school's APR. UNCW just got off APR probation. That's why Hager's loyalty is mentioned. He stayed through the probation.

One of the guys transferring in to take Hager's or Anderson's scholarship is former UNCC 49er Marcus Bryan, whose freshman stats mirror Hager's.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:18 pm

Yeatts isn't the only one. Isaiah Thomas got rid of several players when he started at FIU (or was it FAU?). Larry Brown cut the returning starting point guard when he landed at SMU. It sucks. It should be great ammo for rival coaches in recruiting, but HS kids seem to think it won't happen to them.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:49 pm

I think you're confusing Yeatts with Keatts, who worked with Shelley and Wordsworth. Yeatts matched wits with Wilde and Shaw. Yeatts was certainly influenced by Keatts (using a 1-3-1 and occasionally a 1-2-2), but Yeats almost exclusively prefers a motion offense. He noted his disdain for the high-low in "The Second Coming:"

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

citycat

Post by citycat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:33 am

UNCW's Coach is Keatts. It's hard to know coaches' names until they coach a game.

He has brought in 2 UNCC transfers, Denzel Ingram being the other one.

UNCC probably owes them for foisting Benny Moss on UNCW in 2006. Hiring the former 49er player and assistant coach started the Seahawks down the paths of woe on the court and in the classroom. Maybe Bryan and Ingram are the "players to be named later."

dorp

Post by dorp » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:48 am

dorp

Post by dorp » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:49 am

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:42 am

No surprise really, but I thought it might take a little longer. http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11184 ... ickup-game
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:54 pm

"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:38 pm

Wojcik has lawyered up with a guy from Kansas City (the home of the NCAA).

My guess is that he's gone. The question's how much he'll get to go away. Supposedly he has 3 years left at $400k per. So the max is $1.2 mil.

rbarney

Worth

Post by rbarney » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:09 pm

For the segment in favor of keeping him, I wonder how much they really believe he is worth to the college?