Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:16 am

Duncan Robinson is another prime example of coaches sharing tips with one another...

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:57 pm

Patriot League academics are more comparable to DC than to most other DI schools. Davidson came up several times in Feinstein's book on the Patriot League. The pool of qualified students isn't huge. I bet we've given names to Patriot League coaches of good players we didn't think would contribute much on the court for us, but who ended up playing a bunch for another good school.

I read something about Bobby Cremins watching Matt Harpring play in HS on the same team as Cremin's son. In the story Cremins was going to contact Davidson and Furman for Harpring until one of his assistants told him that he thought Harpring could help Ga Tech. On second look Cremins agreed and they recruited Harpring.

I'm sure there's a huge good ol' boy network in coaching. Often it really is who you know, not what you know.

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:59 pm

Issue is patriot league caliber players aren't good enough for Davidson if the athletes administration students and alums genuinely aspire to be at the top of A10 and compete for at large bids year in year out. We're seeing it with some of our current players and hopefully some targeted recruits who matriculate at Davidson. Higher caliber athletes which means as Coach has said we need to compete against vandy, Stanford, ND, even a Wake Forest. I want Bob to be given every opportunity to get the players he needs

raptorcat

Post by raptorcat » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:30 pm

DCA06 wrote:Issue is patriot league caliber players aren't good enough for Davidson if the athletes administration students and alums genuinely aspire to be at the top of A10 and compete for at large bids year in year out. We're seeing it with some of our current players and hopefully some targeted recruits who matriculate at Davidson. Higher caliber athletes which means as Coach has said we need to compete against vandy, Stanford, ND, even a Wake Forest. I want Bob to be given every opportunity to get the players he needs
I predict this post will generate some degree of controversy, particularly as it was made in the context of Jake Belford, whom I believe had what it took to be an A-10 caliber player.
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
"I can't be worrying about that sh*t. Life goes on, man."
- Jeff Bridges as The Dude in "The Big Lebowski"

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:58 pm

I don't guess we ever got to see Jake play against an A10 team, given the early dates of his injuries both years.

There might be some room for discussion as to how well he would have done in the A10, but the prescriptions I read here for what we need in A10 play (inside presence, rebounding, big player who can shoot from the 3-point line to spread the defense) sound like the items under the dictionary listing "Belford, Jake."
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:01 pm

That was not the intent of my post. I think Jake was a very successful player; and it is unfortunate his career was cut short by concussions. I think Mckillop is very talented at taking any player and improving upon their skill set and basketball abilities - as well as IQ/ maturity. However, in the A10- which I would argue is a top 5 conference in the nation, it is imperative that we give Bob every opportunity to recruit even higher caliber athletes. Basketball is a business and every year I guarantee the team's goal is to recruit and admit better players than currently on the roster. The school and its students should want that as well; great student athletes who offer an opportunity to represent and earn Davidson acclaim on a national stage. Stanford, Harvard etc are no different.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:03 pm

Tell Mike Muscala he isn't good enough for the A-10. Or better yet, tell the Atlanta Hawks since they're paying the kid an NBA salary and he obviously can't play the game worth a dime or he wouldn't have gone to Bucknell.

C. J. McCollum also needs to be told so he can stop living the lie his life has become as a rising star in the NBA. A Lehigh Mountain Hawk can't be worth a crap. (ask Coach K- I'm sure he'll agree when you tell him McCollum sucks)

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:27 pm

Guys- I think you're overreacting a bit. Obviously there are great players in every league who were diamonds in the rough or under recruited who go on to be stars: Tom Brady, Steph Curry, there's a long list.
My core message is every school should strive to be better than the year before, otherwise programs become marginalized relative to their competition. Davidson is a unique school; both for the integrity of its academics and success of all its D1 sports. I love the school. Admittedly, I can become competitive and look at comparable schools with top20 recruiting classes and ask why not Davidson. I just believe if you do anything in life you want to be the best at it; A10 is a new challenge and we should perennially be competing for championships. I just support Bob in whatever he needs or wants to enjoy coaching and making such great young players and men. I apologize if I upset anyone with my views. We're all on the same team.

kevin mcmahon

Post by kevin mcmahon » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:59 pm

DCA06 wrote:That was not the intent of my post. I think Jake was a very successful player; and it is unfortunate his career was cut short by concussions. I think Mckillop is very talented at taking any player and improving upon their skill set and basketball abilities - as well as IQ/ maturity. However, in the A10- which I would argue is a top 5 conference in the nation, it is imperative that we give Bob every opportunity to recruit even higher caliber athletes. Basketball is a business and every year I guarantee the team's goal is to recruit and admit better players than currently on the roster. The school and its students should want that as well; great student athletes who offer an opportunity to represent and earn Davidson acclaim on a national stage. Stanford, Harvard etc are no different.
If we are healthy how much of a talent dearth do we really have ? These are the same guys who won the A10 in their inaugural season. 5/12 players have suffered serious injuries.
"Microphones are for Navy guys"... Ranger H.

BDF

Post by BDF » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:15 am

I see where DCA06 is coming from. I think what he is saying is that he'd prefer to be winning recruiting battles with Duke than winning recruiting battles with Bucknell. Wouldn't we all?

However, the reality is, right now we are losing recruiting battles with Carolina and Michigan and UCLA. I'd rather win some recruiting battles with Lehigh.

The pool of athletes who can meet Davidson's academic standards is small enough that I don't think we can disregard kids being recruited by the Patriot league or Ohio Valley Conference or even the SoCon. I think our sweetspot is:

1. Kids who will see limited playing time at a Duke or Carolina who could see more playing time earlier at Davidson. (Kids like Luke Maye, Peyton Aldridge).
2. Kids who could see immediate playing time at a lower level conference that we can convince to come develop here with the expectation of being a major contributor by their Junior/Senior year. (Kids like Nathan Ekwu, Jordan Watkins*)

*The combination of opportunities due to injuries and hard work have allowed Jordan to progress faster than expected, I think. That's a great story to tell these kids. Come to Davidson, and you'll get better.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:33 pm

Beilein (Michigan) pursued Peyton.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:31 pm

The programs future is bright. Bob has a new challenge in a high end conference. Hopefully the schools commitment to recently announced Play to Win strategy leads to the team's bench depth increasing with higher quality players(7-9 guys really help when you play a high major and need to give your starters rest).
I think the school is commited to going after players who are looking to play at schools like Vandy, Mich, Stanford, Georgetown, Notre Dame. The colleges investment in the basketball center dictates a return on investment and that'll come through higher caliber recruits wanting to play for Bob and Davidson (4 star vs 2-3 star). McKillop said it himself that the move to A10 allowed him to recruit players he never would have gotten in past years (Peyton Aldridge). I would expect that trend to improve over the next couple years. Gonzaga and other programs went through a similar transformation 10yrs ago. All very exciting. Can't wait to beat Duke 😀

bagelcat

Post by bagelcat » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:18 pm

A 10 is good, but not a top 5 league. It is closer to a top 5 league than it is to the SoCon.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:41 pm

Updates approximately every fifth page on this thread (or when drivel crosses 99% threshold). Comments, corrections, and additions welcome: public, PM, or by email. My scholarship math is not as fine-tuned as Acorn's, so proofreading/info in that realm will be appreciated.

The Kool-Aid list reflects publicly available sources, typically internet recruiting sites (e.g., Rivals.com, Verbalcommits.com, etc.), and published reports. The list is maintained for entertainment purposes only. It contains no information received from coaches or recruits. waitress takes responsibility for any omissions, typos, or other errors.

Back-of-the-envelope scholarship count: Davidson gets thirteen scholarships. For the 2015-2016 season, Davidson presumably has 13 scholarships used by: Barham, Belford & Sullivan(RS) (class of 2016); McAuliffe & Gibbs ('17); Aldridge, Ekwu, Magarity(RS), Michelson, Reigel, & Watkins ('18 ); Kovacevic, & Pritchett ('19).

2016 Recruiting

Jared Armstrong, G, Mt. Zion Prep (Philadelphia, PA)
Robert Baker, F, Walker School (Marietta, GA)-committed to Harvard
Maciej Bender, F, Mountain Mission School (Grundy, VA)
A.J. Brodeur, Northfield Mount Hermon (from Algonquin, MA)-committed to Penn
Yoeli Childs, F, Bingham (South Jordan, UT)-committed to BYU
Caron Corpening, G, St. Stephens (Hickory, NC)
Tanner Eubank, G, Elev8 Sports Institute, postgrad year (Mattawan, MI)
Patrick Fisher, G, Vermont Academy (Carlsbad, CA)-committed to Winthrop
Darryl Gerald, G, Courtland (Fredericksburg, VA)
Will Hager, G, Mercer County (Harrodsburg, KY)-committed to Colorado School of Mines
Jordan Harris, Seminole (Donalsonville, GA)-committed to Georgia
Kevin Huerter, G, Shenendehowa (Clifton Park, NY)-committed to Maryland
Michael Hurt, F, John Marshall (Rochester, MN)-committed to Minnesota
Ty Jerome, PG, Iona Prep-committed to Virginia
Justinian Jessup, G, Longmont (Longmont, CO)-committed to Boise St.
Cameron Johnson, F, Marlboro County HS (Bennettsville, SC)
Drew Johnson, G, Christ School (Arden, NC)
Jayce Johnson, C, Santa Monica (Mission Viejo, CA)-committed to Utah
Christian Juzang, G, Viewpoint (Calabasas, CA)-committed to Harvard
Chris Lewis, F, Milton (Alpharetta, GA)-committed to Harvard
Koby McEwen, G, Wasatch Academy (Mount Pleasant, Utah; Toronto, Ontario, Canada)-committed to Utah State
Eric Monroe, G, Saint Augustine (San Diego)-committed to Yale
Javin Montgomery-DeLaurier, F, St. Anne's-Belfield (Charlottesville, VA)-committed to Duke
Jagan Mosely, G, St. Anthony (Jersey City, NJ)-committed to Georgetown
Juan Munoz, G, Panther Creek (Raleigh, NC)-committed to Longwood
Wolfgang Novogratz, G, Harvard-Westlake, Los Angeles (New York, NY)
Miye Oni, F, Suffield Academy (Calabasas, NY)-committed to Yale
Dylan Painter, F, Hershey (Hershey, PA)-committed to Villanova
Micah Potter, C, Mentor (Mentor, OH)-committed to Ohio St.
David Reynolds, G/F, Northfield Mount Hermon (formerly Ravenscroft, Raleigh, NC)
Jack Stevens, F, Kent School-committed to Holy Cross
Sam Sustacek, F, Orono (Long Lake, MN)
Breein Tyree, G, St. Joseph's (Somerset, NJ)-committed to Mississippi
Ibi Watson, Athens (Athens, OH)-committed to Michigan
Peyton Wejnert, G, Southern Regional (Manahawkin, NJ)-committed to Pace
Grant Williams, F-C, Providence Day (Charlotte, NC)-committed to Tennessee

Younger Prospects (Class of 2017, unless otherwise noted)

Shai Alexander, g Hamilton, Ontario-committed to Florida
Cameron Bacote, G, Bethel (Newport News, VA)
Lavar Batts, G, Jay M Robinson (Concord, NC)
Matt Beachler, G, Lowell (Lowell, MI)
Darriel Brown, G, Forsyth Country Day (Winston-Salem, NC)
JJ Burns (2029)
David Caraher, Chapel Hill (Chapel Hill, NC)-committed to Butler
Elijah Clarence, G, St. Maria Goretti (Hagerstown, MD)
Joe Collins, (Groton School) (2018)
Brad Davison, G, Maple Grove (Osseo, MN)
- Links: NY2LA Sports
Broc Finstuen, Pine Island (Pine Island, MN)
Kellan Grady, G, Northfield Mount Hermon (West Roxbury, MA) (reported offer)
- Links: Verbal Commits, Youtube
Kendrick Gray, F, Rice Memorial (Burlington, VT)
Jairus Hamilton, F, Cannon School, (Concord, NC) (2018)
Cooper Larue, Reagan (Winston Salem, NC)
Chris Lykes, G, Gonzaga (Washington, DC)
Phillip McKenzie, F, Cannon School (Concord, NC)
Ryan Murphy, G, Woodstock Academy (Fairfield, CT)
Tomas Murphy, F, Northfield Mount Hermon (Wakefield, RI) (reported offer)
- Links: Verbal Commits
Brendan Newton, C, Faith Christian Academy (Roanoke, VA)
- Links: ScoutHoops
Alex O'Connell, G, Milton (Milton, GA)
Andrew Platek, G, Northfield Mount Hermon (Guilderland Center, NY) (reported offer)
- Links: Verbal Commits
Jared Ridder, F, Kickapoo (Springfield, MO)
S.K. Shittu, F/C, Providence Christian (Rogers, AR)
- Links: article
Patrick Tape, F, Queens Grant (Matthews, NC)-committed to Columbia
Andrew Taylor, G, Corbin (Corbin, KY) (2018)
Lindy Waters III, G, Norman North (Norman, OK) (reclassified as class of 2017) (reported offer)
- Links:Twitter
Trey Wertz, G, Providence Day (Charlotte, NC) (2018)
Walter Whyte, F, St. Luke's (New Haven, CT) (reported offer)
Wyatt Wilkes, F, Winter Park (Winter Park, Florida)
Kyle Young, G, Jackson (Massillon, OH) (reported offer)
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

El Gato Bizco

Post by El Gato Bizco » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:54 pm

raptorcat wrote:
DCA06 wrote:Issue is patriot league caliber players aren't good enough for Davidson if the athletes administration students and alums genuinely aspire to be at the top of A10 and compete for at large bids year in year out. We're seeing it with some of our current players and hopefully some targeted recruits who matriculate at Davidson. Higher caliber athletes which means as Coach has said we need to compete against vandy, Stanford, ND, even a Wake Forest. I want Bob to be given every opportunity to get the players he needs
I predict this post will generate some degree of controversy, particularly as it was made in the context of Jake Belford, whom I believe had what it took to be an A-10 caliber player.
Seems it has already.

I agree with DCA06’s take. He’s not discounting the notion that one may find diamonds in the rough to be found. But is pragmatic enough to realize that at this level, to have consistent success, you need to attract the top talent.

While academic standards can present difficulty, it has been noted that Stanford, Duke and Vandy attract some of the nations top players. Why can’t we do the same?

Someone once told me “you can’t sell the popcorn to run the picture show” Before you can peddle refreshments, you need to attract an audience.

Prior to Steph’s arrival, mostly old timers, basketball historians or those with some tie to the school/program knew of Davidson’s long and celebrated history. It didn’t hold much juice with the common man. The move to the A-10 and Steph’s NBA success has begun to change this.

Heck, I think I’ve watched more regular season and conference tournament games in the past year and a half than I had in the last 10. This program has begun to gain its audience and McKillop strikes me as a guy that can sell some popcorn.