Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
steveclark63

Post by steveclark63 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:48 am

ESPN article on graduate transfer rule hurting many mid-majors. Canyon Barry, who will play for Florida this season, is mentioned as an example.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... basketball
“Remembrance of things past is not necessarily the remembrance of things as they were.”
— Marcel Proust

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:02 am

But he's an example of the rule working. He'll be taking classes in nuclear engineering. CofC has nothing comparable.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:51 am

catnhat wrote:But he's an example of the rule working. He'll be taking classes in nuclear engineering. CofC has nothing comparable.
I believe Barry is the exception. I'm mixed on the rule, because on one hand it requires kids to graduate and offers many the opportunity to play at the highest level and in the NCAA tournament. On the other hand, it encourages kids to not actually care about their studies and graduate just so they can move on to the next stop. Kids also choose their graduate schools almost solely for basketball reasons and apply to any graduate program they can get into, not one they actually intend to use (again, not Barry, but most often the case). Overall, the rule generally doesn't impact us other than our competitors having an advantage (VCU goes after pretty much every high-major grad transfer on the market, other A10 schools do as well).

I would say I'm generally in favor of the rule because of the opportunities it offers players and how it requires them to graduate, but there is little doubt the rule is widely exploited.

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:37 pm

A mild voice of disagreement with the notion that this provides more opportunities for players. In the end, it would seem to be a zero sum game in terms of "opportunity". The same number of players are going to get scholarships across the country, so a player claiming a 5th year of scholarship status actually would seem to reduce the number of kids given the opportunity for a 4-year education. For every 4 kids claiming their 5th year, one kid doesn't get to go to college for 4 years (for free).

Pretty quick and not well thought out, so if I'm wrong, I'm wrong :)

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:42 pm

GoalCat wrote:A mild voice of disagreement with the notion that this provides more opportunities for players. In the end, it would seem to be a zero sum game in terms of "opportunity". The same number of players are going to get scholarships across the country, so a player claiming a 5th year of scholarship status actually would seem to reduce the number of kids given the opportunity for a 4-year education. For every 4 kids claiming their 5th year, one kid doesn't get to go to college for 4 years (for free).

Players can only play for four years, so if a player graduates in three years (or four with a redshirt), then can play their fourth eligible while in graduate school. They aren't allowed a fifth year of eligibility.

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:29 pm

CatsUpNorth wrote:
GoalCat wrote:A mild voice of disagreement with the notion that this provides more opportunities for players. In the end, it would seem to be a zero sum game in terms of "opportunity". The same number of players are going to get scholarships across the country, so a player claiming a 5th year of scholarship status actually would seem to reduce the number of kids given the opportunity for a 4-year education. For every 4 kids claiming their 5th year, one kid doesn't get to go to college for 4 years (for free).

Players can only play for four years, so if a player graduates in three years (or four with a redshirt), then can play their fourth eligible while in graduate school. They aren't allowed a fifth year of eligibility.
Agree and disagree.

Agree regarding student-athletes who graduate in 3 years and still want to play a fourth while taking graduate coursework.

Disagree regarding redshirts staying for a fifth year. I wasn't suggesting that they had a fifth year of eligibility, just that they were consuming 5 years of scholarships. Since there is a maximum number of scholarships available, when a player consumes 5 years of scholarships in order to utilize 4 years of eligibility, the total number of "different kids" receiving the opportunity to go to college on scholarship suffers.

I'm not offering an opinion on whether players should be allowed a 5th year, just pointing out an aspect of fallacy in the "opportunity for kids" argument.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:52 pm

GoalCat wrote:
CatsUpNorth wrote:

Agree and disagree.

Agree regarding student-athletes who graduate in 3 years and still want to play a fourth while taking graduate coursework.

Disagree regarding redshirts staying for a fifth year. I wasn't suggesting that they had a fifth year of eligibility, just that they were consuming 5 years of scholarships. Since there is a maximum number of scholarships available, when a player consumes 5 years of scholarships in order to utilize 4 years of eligibility, the total number of "different kids" receiving the opportunity to go to college on scholarship suffers.

I'm not offering an opinion on whether players should be allowed a 5th year, just pointing out an aspect of fallacy in the "opportunity for kids" argument.
Gotcha. Definitely a fair point. I think the "opportunity for kids" is also a lot about future opportunity playing professionally. Players can often get overlooked for professional playing opportunities due to the level of competition they play against. While being a senior and getting drafted is hard enough as it is, you look at a situation like Damion Lee - who spent three years at Drexel as a high scoring mid major player - who wasn't drafted but still has plenty more eyes on him due to him spending a fourth year at Louisville, since he was able to prove his ability to play against ACC competition. He definitely has more future opportunities since he proved himself as more than a high-scorer for an average mid-major college.

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:34 pm

No question, you are correct. Even then, though, there is an equal and opposite effect. In order for one player to get a professional opportunity that they might not otherwise have gotten, another player must lose that same professional opportunity. Not saying that's bad ... just that it often costs another kid the opportunity to go to college.

delaReine

Post by delaReine » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:55 pm

This point is only valid if all scholarships are used and there is no available capacity.
A community built on trust and honesty by definition practices patience, compassion and forgiveness. - Dr. Carol E. Quillen

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:15 pm

delaReine wrote:

This point is only valid if all scholarships are used and there is no available capacity.
My guess (admittedly) is that 100% of schools that fall in the category of giving basketball scholarships to 5th-year players via the grad school route are using 100% of their scholarship capacity.

delaReine

Post by delaReine » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:34 pm

GoalCat wrote:
delaReine wrote:

My guess (admittedly) is that 100% of schools that fall in the category of giving basketball scholarships to 5th-year players via the grad school route are using 100% of their scholarship capacity.
Even if that were case it doesn't matter because there will still be unoccupied capacity at one of the other D1 schools that is offering a free education in trade for their basketball prowess. Displaced maybe, but not left in the dark.
A community built on trust and honesty by definition practices patience, compassion and forgiveness. - Dr. Carol E. Quillen

wildcatadrian

Post by wildcatadrian » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:19 am

Any news on Walter Whyte? Isn't he on campus for an official visit?

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:16 am

Walter Whyte's official visit has been reported for September 17.

http://www.hoopseen.com/node/2989

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:43 pm

https://twitter.com/RealCoachQ/status/7 ... 3215180800
@RealCoachQ wrote:2018 PG @andrewtaylor_21 has interest from Xavier, Va Tech, Cornell, DePaul, Tulsa, Davidson, Tennessee, Wright St, WKU among many others

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:29 pm

Updates approximately every fifth page on this thread (or when drivel crosses 99% threshold, or whenever I feel like it). Comments, corrections, and additions welcome: public, PM, or by email. All will be replied to. Some might even be heeded.

The Kool-Aid list reflects publicly available sources, typically internet recruiting sites (e.g., Rivals.com, Verbalcommits.com, Twitter, etc.), and published reports. News of offers and commitments must be publicly sourced. The list is maintained for entertainment purposes only. It contains no information received from coaches or recruits. waitress takes full responsibility for any omissions, typos, or other errors.

Back-of-the-envelope scholarship count: Davidson gets thirteen scholarships. For the 2016-2017 season, Davidson presumably has 11 of 13 scholarships used by: McAuliffe & Gibbs ('17); Aldridge, Ekwu, Magarity(RS), Michelson, Reigel, & Watkins ('18 ); Gudmundsson, Kovacevic(RS), & Pritchett(RS) ('20).

High School Graduating Class of 2017

Commitments

Kellan Grady, G, 6-4, 180, Northfield Mount Hermon; West Roxbury, MA
Carter Collins, G, 6-2, 160, East Chapel Hill High School; Chapel Hill, NC

Reported Interest and Offers
Shai Alexander, G, Hamilton, Ontario-committed to Florida
E.J. Anosike, F, St. Thomas More School (East Orange, NJ)
Cameron Bacote, G, Bethel (Newport News, VA)
Geo Baker, G, Proctor Academy (Boston, Ma.) (committed to Rutgers)
Lavar Batts, G, Jay M Robinson (Concord, NC) (committed to VCU)
Matt Beachler, G, Lowell (Lowell, MI)
Thomas Binelli, F, Bergen Catholic (Oradell, NJ)
Darriel Brown, G, Forsyth Country Day (Winston-Salem, NC)
Peyton Broughton, North Laurel High School (London, KY)
David Caraher, Chapel Hill (Chapel Hill, NC)-committed to Butler
Elijah Clarence, G, St. Maria Goretti (Hagerstown, MD)
Carter Collins, G, East Chapel Hill (Chapel Hill, NC) (committed to Davidson)
-Links:Phenom Hoop Report, YouTube
Joe Collins, (Groton School) (2018)
Kyle Copeland, G, Phillips Exeter Academy (Leesburg, VA)
Connor Crabtree, Orange High School (Hillsborough, NC)
Jordan Davis, G, Dutch Fork High School (Irmo, SC) (reported offer)
-Links:Twitter YouTube
Brad Davison, G, Maple Grove (Osseo, MN) -committed to Wisconsin
Broc Finstuen, Pine Island (Pine Island, MN)
Luke Frampton, G, Poca (Poca, WV) (reported offer)
- Links:Twitter
Taylor Funk, F, Manheim Central (Manheim, PA)-committed to St. Joe's
Kellan Grady, G, Northfield Mount Hermon (West Roxbury, MA) (committed to Davidson)
- Links: Verbal Commits, Youtube
Kendrick Gray, F, Rice Memorial (Burlington, VT)
Myles Hanson, G, Chaska Senior High School (Chaska, MN)
Mike Hood, G, Shawnee Mission West (Shawnee Mission, KS)
Drew Johnson, G, Christ School (Arden, NC)
Griff Kornaker, G, Suffield Academy (Rochester, NY)
Rocky Kreuser, F, Totino-Grace High School (Fridley, MN)
Cooper Larue, Reagan (Winston Salem, NC)
Luke Loewe, G, Ripon (Ripon, WI) committed to William & Mary
Chris Lykes, G, Gonzaga (Washington, DC)
Edon Maxhuni, G, HBA-Marsky (Hyvinkää, Finland)
Phillip McKenzie, F, Cannon School (Concord, NC)
Darryl Morsell, G, Mount Saint Joseph (Baltimore, MD) (reported offer)
- Links: Verbal Commits Twitter
Ryan Murphy, G, Woodstock Academy (Fairfield, CT)
Tomas Murphy, F, Northfield Mount Hermon (Wakefield, RI) committed tp Northeastern
Brendan Newton, C, Faith Christian Academy (Roanoke, VA)
- Links: ScoutHoops
Alex O'Connell, G, Milton (Milton, GA)
Rob Peterson, G/F, Charlotte Christian (Charlotte, NC)
Andrew Platek, G, Northfield Mount Hermon (Guilderland Center, NY)- committed to UNC-CH
Kaiden Rice, F, Ridge View (Columbia, SC)
Jared Ridder, F, Kickapoo (Springfield, MO)
Ryan Schwieger, G, Weddington (Charlotte, NC)
Marcus Shaver, Jr., G, Shadow Mountain High School (Phoenix, AZ)
S.K. Shittu, F/C, Providence Christian (Rogers, AR)
- Links: article
Patrick Tape, F, Queens Grant (Matthews, NC)-committed to Columbia
Brian Tolefree, G, TSA Prep post-grad year (Eudora, KS)
Cole VonHandorf, G, Covington Catholic (Park Hills, KY)
Walter Whyte, F, St. Luke's (New Haven, CT) (reported offer)
Wyatt Wilkes, F, Winter Park (Winter Park, Florida)
Bryce Wills, Iona Prep (White Plains, NY)
Kyle Young, F, Jackson (Massillon, OH) (reported offer)
Kristers Zoriks, G, New Hampton Prep (NH) (Dobele, Latvia) (reported offer)
-Links:Twitter

Class of 2018
Justin Ahrens, G, Versailles High School (Versailles, OH)
- Links: Youtube
Riley Battin, F/C, Oak Park (Oak Park, CA)
Jamarius Burton, G, Phillip O. Berry Academy of Technology (Charlotte, NC)
Robby Carmody, G, Mars High School (Mars, PA)
Rip Economou, G/F, Santa Monica High School (Santa Monica, CA)(reported offer)
- Links: Twitter, YouTube
Austin Galuppo, G, West Ranch (Valencia, CA)
A.J. Green, G, Cedar Falls (Cedar Falls, IA)
Jairus Hamilton, F, Cannon School, (Concord, NC)
Aundre Hyatt, G, Archbishop Stepinac High School (Bronx, NY)
Foster Loyer, G, Clarkson (Clarkston, MI)
Adrian Martin, G, Lanier High School (Sugar Hill, GA)
Jaylin Reed, G, Miller School of Albemarle (Charlottesville, VA)
Cormac Ryan, G, Milton Academy (New York, NY) (reported offer)
Cole Swider, F, St. Andrew's School (Portsmouth, RI)
Andrew Taylor, G, Corbin (Corbin, KY)
Deandre Thomas, G, Benedictine College Prep (Richmond, VA)
Hunter Tyson, F, Piedmont (Monroe, NC) (2018) (reported offer)
-Links:Twitter
Patrick Urey, F, Baylor HS (Chattanooga, TN)
Trey Wertz, G, Providence Day (Charlotte, NC)
Jasen West, Trinity Prep (Winter Park, FL)
- Links:Hudl

Class of 2019
D.J. Burns, F/C, York Preparatory Academy (Rock Hill, SC)(reported offer)
- Links: YouTube Verbal Commits
Triston Miller, Charlotte Country Day (Charlotte, NC)
JC Tharrington, G, Charlotte Christian (Charlotte, NC)

Younger recruits
JJ Burns (2029)
Last edited by Waitress on Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.