2018 A10 Champions!
DC69Wildcat

Re: In Game: vs. Ohio

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:11 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:40 pm
DC69Wildcat wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:24 pm
Nobody out there in black acting like "I'm not letting us lose this game." I'm not sure we have that player this year.
Interesting. I saw five such players.
I'm talking about the Tyler Kalinoski, Peyton Aldridge, Jack Gibbs, JAG, Luka, Foster Loyer, "Just give me the ball" type who can carry the team in crunch time. Grant is the closest thing we have this year, but his lack of a three-point threat makes him a little easier to defend when we absolutely have to have a basket.

I'm proud of Reid for stepping up and keeping us in the lead after shooting so poorly for the first 3/4 of the game. He was also tough on the glass with 3 of our 14 offensive rebounds.

Durkin, incidentally, had 4 steals, including the huge one on that inbounds pass in the last minute. And he had 5 rebounds. I gave him my Colt 45 vote after he hit 8 straight first half points. He reminds me of Peyton more and more each game.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

quickcat

Post by quickcat » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:12 pm

JCDC wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:57 pm
What was the plus/minus on the five starters?
Total +10, so an average of +2 each. The key seems to have been Durkin with 31 minutes at +10, same as Brizzi's +10 in 21 minutes.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:17 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:11 pm
Dr. Bliss wrote:
DC69Wildcat wrote:
Nobody out there in black acting like "I'm not letting us lose this game." I'm not sure we have that player this year.
I'm talking about the Tyler Kalinoski, Peyton Aldridge, Jack Gibbs, JAG, Luka, Foster Loyer, "Just give me the ball" type who can carry the team in crunch time. Grant is the closest thing we have this year, but his lack of a three-point threat makes him a little easier to defend when we absolutely have to have a basket.

I'm proud of Reid for stepping up and keeping us in the lead after shooting so poorly for the first 3/4 of the game. He was also tough on the glass with 3 of our 14 offensive rebounds.

Durkin, incidentally, had 4 steals, including the huge one on that inbounds pass in the last minute. And he had 5 rebounds. I gave him my Colt 45 vote after he hit 8 straight first half points. He reminds me of Peyton more and more each game.
Durkin is that guy.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:24 pm

While I do not remember in what forum Coach Matt said “in some practices, this team looks like it can beat anyone in the country, and in others, we look like a very young team that will struggle to win.” So far, we have seen a lot of struggling, yet despite those struggles, thru tenacity and sheer determination, we have done very well in the OOC. Should our shooting prowess come around, as we all expect it to do, we will have a successful conference record. Still fun to be a witness.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

seamac77

Post by seamac77 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:27 pm

raptorcat wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:03 pm
No to the Tam. It remains in my closet, gathering dust.
It's time will come....
"Statistics are like bikinis. They show a lot, but they don't show everything." - Bob McKillop

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:01 pm

Waitress wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:17 pm
DC69Wildcat wrote:
Dr. Bliss wrote:
DC69Wildcat wrote:

Durkin is that guy.
Grant too.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:31 pm

stevelee wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:10 pm
raptorcat wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:03 pm
Yes, Bailey redeemed himself in those last few crucial minutes. When we consider that we won despite not having our leading scorer and letting Ohio go on some big runs, I feel good about this gutty win and am not dreading conference play as much as before.
I’m still not making reservations in Brooklyn (but maybe in Henrico County). I think we’ll do a lot better than twelfth, though, which was a preseason prediction.

This team is fun to watch.
Wealthy retired gentleman like yourself could do both...
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

JCDC

Post by JCDC » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:43 pm

Booking mine today. This team can win games. Not all, but enough.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:49 pm

i77cat wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:31 pm
stevelee wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:10 pm
raptorcat wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:03 pm
Yes, Bailey redeemed himself in those last few crucial minutes. When we consider that we won despite not having our leading scorer and letting Ohio go on some big runs, I feel good about this gutty win and am not dreading conference play as much as before.
I’m still not making reservations in Brooklyn (but maybe in Henrico County). I think we’ll do a lot better than twelfth, though, which was a preseason prediction.

This team is fun to watch.
Wealthy retired gentleman like yourself could do both...
I admit to being very wealthy in a variety of ways, financially being among the least of them. But, yes, my decision on Brooklyn is mostly not based on cost. I had a great time the one time I went, and plan to do it again some time. A stellar in-conference season could easily change my mind. I have a lot of credit, and I don’t have to keep the same seats in Belk and go to the FBC.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stan

Post by stan » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:28 pm

Driving all day. Just stopped to eat and checked last minute of play by play. Whoa.

Must have been a tad stressful to watch. Several tads.

Let’s beat the flyers and it’ll all be a distant memory from last year.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:53 pm

wildforthecats wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:01 pm
Waitress wrote:
DC69Wildcat wrote:
Dr. Bliss wrote:
DC69Wildcat wrote:

Durkin is that guy.
Grant too.
This is not a good free-throw shooting team.i still want In -bounds plays run for Durkin when the opponent has to foul.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:12 pm

I am not sure why we would expect to shoot better as the season goes along. If anything, I think we could shoot a little worse, as I believe we'll face tougher defenses in conference play than we have in OOC play. However, I think this team can get better, as I believe we have since earlier in the season. We had some nice baskets off of passes today and I think we can do even better as the chemistry builds. Bailey has been quietly trending upward and he put the team on his back today--an important milestone in his development. I know Durkin missed a couple, but he is demanding the ball at the end of the game so he can get to the line. Spadone doesn't shrink from the big moment. This team shows a lot of TCC. This game reminded me a lot of the ETSU game--away game, got out to a nice lead early, then wilted down the stretch but kept it close and could have won it. Today we got over that hump. Can you imagine the Ohio locker room after the game?

I don't expect this team to play beautiful basketball, but winning ugly is a thing and we can do that.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:16 pm

Waitress wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:53 pm
wildforthecats wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:01 pm
Waitress wrote:
DC69Wildcat wrote:
Dr. Bliss wrote:
DC69Wildcat wrote:

Durkin is that guy.
Grant too.
This is not a good free-throw shooting team.i still want In -bounds plays run for Durkin when the opponent has to foul.
I harken back to September, the first day of practice, when the team shot foul shots at the end. I didn’t see one miss.

MikeMaloy15

Post by MikeMaloy15 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:31 pm

I'm a lot happier about this than many here but, admittedly, that's probably a default setting.

Cats have clanged potentially clinching FTs in consecutive game and won them both.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:53 pm

We'll shoot better from the floor, the arc, and the line against Dayton. We'll have to shoot much better to beat them.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge