In Game: at George Washington

2018 A10 Champions!
Corpulent Cat

Re: In Game: at George Washington

Post by Corpulent Cat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:15 pm

Our lack of athleticism and strength keeps showing up game-after-game. That will not change this year.

I like the fact that we really pushed the ball on offense. Helped our scoring today.

The motion offense is problematic if you can't shoot 3s or FTs.

Also, we don't make plays when we NEED to make plays.

If we have a big man strength coach it is not apparent.

otherwildcat

Post by otherwildcat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:19 pm

Entertaining game. A little too much hero ball down the stretch. Two of the turnovers one in the first half and another in the second half, due to Bailey's weakness when receiving a pass.
Skogman will be tough to replace next year

bagelcat

Post by bagelcat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:54 pm

Logan got the rebound off a missed FT when Matt called T.O. in the backcourt, so he would have been shooting 1 and 1.
I don't know if that's why he called the timeout, it's just conjecture.

WildCock

Post by WildCock » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:57 pm

Cocks win in OT at Mizzou, 71-69. Didn't shoot well, either inside or from three. They won by going 16 of 18 on free throws. Wish the Cats had even come close to that.
Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:02 pm

This isnt working.
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:08 pm

Didn't Coach McKillop, the elder, bring a foul shooting guru on to campus in the preseason?
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:14 pm

If we could shoot well, we would. If we could dunk, we would. It is likely to be a long rebuild. In the current MBB environment, I really don't think teams can stay in the top 100 without a large NIL budget.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:55 pm

i77cat wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:14 pm
If we could shoot well, we would. If we could dunk, we would. It is likely to be a long rebuild. In the current MBB environment, I really don't think teams can stay in the top 100 without a large NIL budget.
NIL money did not lose this game.

You can improve shooting.
You can improve free throws.
You can coach players to get better & tougher.
Cochera, Skogman, and Logan have all improved quite a bit.
Grant is Grant and will always give 110%

I don't understand some of our issues when we have so many coaches and they have so much time with the players throughout the year. For goodness sakes we have been having problems boxing out on foul shots and inbounding the ball for the last several years.
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:56 pm

bagelcat wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:54 pm
Logan got the rebound off a missed FT when Matt called T.O. in the backcourt, so he would have been shooting 1 and 1.
Logan got the rebound off the missed FT. There was nobody close to him. Because we didn't advance the ball before the TO was called, we had to take it out from the end line against a set, pressing defense. GW stole the ball; we fouled and Garrett made one of two. I maintain that was a huge coaching error at a critical time in the game. Advance the ball and then call TO if you want. Much easier to in-bound the ball when you have the whole court to work with.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:04 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:56 pm
bagelcat wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:54 pm
Logan got the rebound off the missed FT. There was nobody close to him. Because we didn't advance the ball before the TO was called, we had to take it out from the end line against a set, pressing defense. GW stole the ball; we fouled and Garrett made one of two. I maintain that was a huge coaching error at a critical time in the game. Advance the ball and then call TO if you want. Much easier to in-bound the ball when you have the whole court to work with.
And then we did it again later in the game, but at least we didn't have to in-bound from the end-line.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:14 pm

85Wildcatsky wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:55 pm
i77cat wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:14 pm
NIL money did not lose this game.

You can improve shooting.
You can improve free throws.
You can coach players to get better & tougher.
Cochera, Skogman, and Logan have all improved quite a bit.
Grant is Grant and will always give 110%

I don't understand some of our issues when we have so many coaches and they have so much time with the players throughout the year. For goodness sakes we have been having problems boxing out on foul shots and inbounding the ball for the last several years.
I agree that NIL money didn't cost us this game. It will cost us plenty in the future. I hear that it hurt us in the recruiting battles that we lost to GW this summer.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

citycat

Post by citycat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:27 pm

Foster Loyer arranged his own NIL deal with Bojangles. Why didn't the school/coaches work with Bojangles to pass that along to a player or two on this year's team? I know two players who could be excellent spokespersons for Bojangles.

The "why we called timeout when Logan got the rebound" explanation makes no sense. Logan grabbed 7 rebounds. Let them foul him every time he does.

Sometimes our coaches make terrible mistakes, as Dr. Bliss described. We had to inbound against their press and couldn't throw the ball into the backcourt.

Our staff is inbred and rarely says, "When I was at the other place we did it differently."
Last edited by citycat on Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cat44

Post by cat44 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:33 pm

we need better tailors for some of our guys. They need to lengthen their shirt collars.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:42 pm

I agree that NIL was not the difference in this loss. Poor FT shooting, poor shot selection, and turnovers doomed us.

Faulting the team’s athleticism is a perennial complaint. Jordan Barham our last “athlete”?
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:43 pm

Supposedly the school and the coaches are not allowed to arrange NIL, so I would expect that to be a reason they don’t do it.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ