In Game: at Fordham

2018 A10 Champions!
quickcat

Re: In Game: at Fordham

Post by quickcat » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:02 pm

I know everyone, most of all Reed, would prefer that he made more than 6 of the 20 FGs he attempted. But he did score 24 points and had 12 rebounds in the game.

Luka Brajkovic, A-10 player of the year, had 2 career games with 24+ points. Both in his senior year. Tyler Kalinoski, A-10 player of the year, had 3, all in his senior year.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:14 pm

"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

BaseRich306

Post by BaseRich306 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:18 pm

I like Reed taking 20 shots. The only way we take a step up is if he stakes a step up. Keep hunting and getting better.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:23 pm

I loved Grant racing down the court for the dunk with that red mouthpiece hanging out one side of his mouth. He dropped it on the floor under one of the baskets at one point in the first half, and just picked it up and stuffed it back in his mouth. The TV announcer commented that there were 100 years of bacteria on that court, and the color guy corrected him by pointing out that it's a new floor. Jared asked Grant about it in the post-game interview, and he said he couldn't decide what to do, stop and wash it off, or just put it back in. He finally decided that one choice was as bad as the other, so he put it back in and ran down the court. Funny.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

bagelcat

Post by bagelcat » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:25 am

You don't want Reed taking 20 shots a game unless gets strong enough to finish through contact instead of flailing or being knocked off balance.

He did some good things. He drew fouls and made all his FTs. He had a great finish on the pass from Huffman.

As I've commented, he has good footwork and post moves. But he needs to finish around the basket; too often he does not.

He's not a good enough player to be taking 20 shots on a consistent basis. Skog's prolonged absence had a lot to do with his high volume of shots tonight.

A good team win that we had to have. So credit to Reed and everyone else that made it happen.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:54 am

Reed was very good in the last 10 minutes. Overall, he had an unbelievable strange shooter's Stat line. If I wanted to speculate, U would think that hw gets the "yips" around the rim. Purely between the ears, and nothing that a series of power dunks shouldn't be able to resolve. Loved the alley-oop.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:00 am

85Wildcatsky wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:39 pm
ScootCat wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:37 pm
Wow! He really can jump. Must be all that strength training. 😁
How about Grant's pass on that play. I think he tossed it from the concession stand.
I was so shocked about Reed's dunk that I ignored the beautiful set-up. After the play, neither of them seemed to make a big deal out of this. Routine Play that they work on in practice al the time? To me, it seemed like a game-changer (season-changer?).

catseye

Post by catseye » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:27 am

Thought the refs really let a lot of stuff go last night until the end. I felt like almost all of their steals began with a body check or out of control lunge into our players. We don't often respond in kind. Thankfully, they called those as fouls at the end, which upset the Fordham fans (who, of course, expected them to continue to let it go).

Gutty, necessary win. Fordham looked better to me than advertised.
"He scores 30 points and he thinks he can call me Bob."

Sir Walter Cat

Post by Sir Walter Cat » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:54 am

catseye wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:27 am
Thought the refs really let a lot of stuff go last night until the end. I felt like almost all of their steals began with a body check or out of control lunge into our players. We don't often respond in kind.
In general I agree that the players tend to let stuff go, but I did see Moss back into a Fordham player hard enough on a slow transition that the Ram looked aggrieved. Looked intentional to my eye.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:41 am

Sir Walter Cat wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:54 am
catseye wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:27 am
Thought the refs really let a lot of stuff go last night until the end. I felt like almost all of their steals began with a body check or out of control lunge into our players. We don't often respond in kind.
In general I agree that the players tend to let stuff go, but I did see Moss back into a Fordham player hard enough on a slow transition that the Ram looked aggrieved. Looked intentional to my eye.
Saw that, and I also thought it looked intentional.

raptorcat

Post by raptorcat » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:18 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:23 pm
I loved Grant racing down the court for the dunk with that red mouthpiece hanging out one side of his mouth. He dropped it on the floor under one of the baskets at one point in the first half, and just picked it up and stuffed it back in his mouth. The TV announcer commented that there were 100 years of bacteria on that court, and the color guy corrected him by pointing out that it's a new floor. Jared asked Grant about it in the post-game interview, and he said he couldn't decide what to do, stop and wash it off, or just put it back in. He finally decided that one choice was as bad as the other, so he put it back in and ran down the court. Funny.
Grant was merely taking advantage of something I taught my kids when they dropped food on the floor: the five-second rule.
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
"I can't be worrying about that sh*t. Life goes on, man."
- Jeff Bridges as The Dude in "The Big Lebowski"

Ursa Midmajor

Post by Ursa Midmajor » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:40 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:23 pm
Deserves its own offseason thread. If Fordham redoes its floor are the germs gone?
"No one is Steph Curry” ~ Draymond Green