Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:20 pm
catseye wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:06 pm
Waitress wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:56 am
MrMac wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:46 pm
...and alak.

And I'm not going to pay $7.00 a month to change that. I'll be listening on the WHIP.
I'm seeing the Branford Marsalis Quartet.
An excellent group. I heard an earlier edition of it. Have seen all of the Marsalis brothers except the drummer..What a family!
I think over the years I have seen more than one member of this family on campus. At least one of them did a residency with the jazz band, I think. Amazing folks have been part of that, including Chick Corea and Pat Metheny.
If the game were on ESPN+, attending the concert would prevent the "waitress effect," which occurs anytime I follow the boxscore online, see that the Cats are ahead, logon to ESPN+ to watch, only to see them immediately fall behind by 6-7 points. This phenomenon has been independently verified.
I totally thought it was me. Thanks for taking that off my shoulders.
I've got you.

Concert was fantastic. Pianist Joey Calderazzo was phenomenal, in constant motion. Drummer Justin Faulkner had a rock-n-roll sensibility that I thought would put off all the blue hairs in the audience, but his playfulness was endearing and the audience loved it when he rocked the rims. Marsalis introduced Navy Jazz Band Commodores bassist William Ledbetter who was sitting in for band member Eric Revis. Ledbetter laid back on most pieces, setting sceen after screen for the other players, but took his licks in two or three tunes, thumping out a stirring solo during one piece. The band talked to each other throughout the show, even explaining they were ditching one tune because Ledbetter didn't know it. Marsalis was the consummate player-coach, trusting the other musicians (they played two Calderazzo tunes and a Revis chart), giving them lots of leash. Set pieces (Keith Jarrett and Hoagy Carmichael) effortlessly morphed into improvised sonic marvels. Handoffs were seamless. Passers found cutters everytime. No one missed a layup. They were perfect from the line. The visitors wowed the home crowd. Solid road W.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

Dr. Bliss

Re: Up next: VCU

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:54 pm

Waitress wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:53 pm
Dr. Bliss wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:01 pm
Waitress wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:54 pm
stevelee wrote:
catseye wrote:
Waitress wrote:
MrMac wrote:
...and alak.

And I'm not going to pay $7.00 a month to change that. I'll be listening on the WHIP.
An excellent group. I heard an earlier edition of it. Have seen all of the Marsalis brothers except the drummer..What a family!
I think over the years I have seen more than one member of this family on campus. At least one of them did a residency with the jazz band, I think. Amazing folks have been part of that, including Chick Corea and Pat Metheny.
If the game were on ESPN+, attending the concert would prevent the "waitress effect," which occurs anytime I follow the boxscore online, see that the Cats are ahead, logon to ESPN+ to watch, only to see them immediately fall behind by 6-7 points. This phenomenon has been independently verified.
I've got you.

Concert was fantastic. Pianist Joey Calderazzo was phenomenal, in constant motion. Drummer Justin Faulkner had a rock-n-roll sensibility that I thought would put off all the blue hairs in the audience, but his playfulness was endearing and the audience loved it when he rocked the rims. Marsalis introduced Navy Jazz Band Commodores bassist William Ledbetter who was sitting in for band member Eric Revis. Ledbetter laid back on most pieces, setting sceen after screen for the other players, but took his licks in two or three tunes, thumping out a stirring solo during one piece. The band talked to each other throughout the show, even explaining they were ditching one tune because Ledbetter didn't know it. Marsalis was the consummate player-coach, trusting the other musicians (they played two Calderazzo tunes and a Revis chart), giving them lots of leash. Set pieces (Keith Jarrett and Hoagy Carmichael) effortlessly morphed into improvised sonic marvels. Handoffs were seamless. Passers found cutters everytime. No one missed a layup. They were perfect from the line. The visitors wowed the home crowd. Solid road W.
But did they play any zone?
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:11 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:54 pm
Waitress wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:53 pm
Dr. Bliss wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:01 pm
Waitress wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:54 pm
stevelee wrote:
catseye wrote:
Waitress wrote:
MrMac wrote:
...and alak.

I've got you.

But did they play any zone?
They were definitely in the zone.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:13 pm

You folks are remarkable. I am honored just to sit in with you.