2018 A10 Champions!
DC69Wildcat

Re: Skogman injury

Post by DC69Wildcat » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:23 pm

stevelee wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:33 pm
DC69Wildcat wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:37 am
Back in my day, with the Vietnam war still raging, a prospective MD didn't dare risk a gap year unless you had a safe draft number. One of my Duke classmates flew F-4 Phantoms off an aircraft carrier in the Gulf of Tonkin prior to med school.
A classmate of mine went to Harvard Law School straight out of Davidson. He had not done Advanced ROTC, so when the draft laws changed, he did NROTC at Harvard. It was a time of war protests, so very few undergrads there did any ROTC flavor. Almost everyone in the program was in med school or law school. My number was high enough that I didn't need deferments for which I was eligible. My draft board classified me 1-A. If you stayed in that for a year without being drafted, then you were exempt for all practical purposes. I recently found out that my friend from New York was in the same situation. Then after a few years in the parish, he became a chaplain in the Navy.
I was #338, so I also gave up my 2-S deferment. My older brother got #003. He was a 1967 UNC grad with no clear career goals, so he joined the Army before the Draft Board called him. He hated it so much that he waived his OCS agreement so he would finish his commitment earlier, and he went to the infantry as a grunt. Just before he finished boot camp at Ft. Dix, the North Koreans captured the USS Pueblo, and the US needed to build up our forces there, and he went to Korea rather than Vietnam.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:28 pm

loosha's lad wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:02 am
Maybe it's still the case, but wasn't there a Davidson alumnus/a that was CEO of Stryker in recent years?
Stryker is best known for its orthopedic devices. We need to approach that alum about an NIL deal with the women's basketball team.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:00 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:28 pm
loosha's lad wrote:
Maybe it's still the case, but wasn't there a Davidson alumnus/a that was CEO of Stryker in recent years?
Stryker is best known for its orthopedic devices. We need to approach that alum about an NIL deal with the women's basketball team.
The program needs to take a hard look at the frequency of these types of injuries and explore any possible ways to try to prevent them.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:37 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:00 pm
DC69Wildcat wrote:
loosha's lad wrote:
The program needs to take a hard look at the frequency of these types of injuries and explore any possible ways to try to prevent them.
Here you go.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.21 ... 9050-00003
This is not a problem unique to our team. Since I no longer belong to a medical staff, I don't have access to the full article through my local AHEC library anymore, but I've read some of this stuff, and it is daunting.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:12 pm

IIRC Cliff Tribus helped develop some medical hardware, or at least participated in trials of medical hardware. He is an orthopedic surgeon at UW Madison.

I’m still not sure how he fit in his Datsun (280Z I think)😀

loosha's lad

Post by loosha's lad » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:39 am

DC69Wildcat wrote:
loosha's lad wrote:
Steve MacMillan '85
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_P ... 20Program.

seamac77

Post by seamac77 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:21 pm

loosha's lad wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:39 am
DC69Wildcat wrote:
loosha's lad wrote:
Steve MacMillan '85
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_P ... 20Program.
My son worked several years as a rep for a Stryker competitor , Zimmer Biomet. Made a good living but following the on call schedule of orthopedic surgeons finally was too much. He now works for a dental supply company ... every Friday off from now on.
"Statistics are like bikinis. They show a lot, but they don't show everything." - Bob McKillop

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:08 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
loosha's lad wrote:
Steve MacMillan, ‘85. Left Stryker in 2012 on less than amicable terms. He has been a major benefactor of the golf program.

I think JRich works for Stryker.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:33 pm

JRich’s wiki page has not been updated since he left Pitt basketball.

IIRC he was/is running Steph’s youth golf program. I don’t know if that’s considered a full time job or not.