2018 A10 Champions!
CatsRom

Re: Skogman injury

Post by CatsRom » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:23 pm

Waitress wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:54 am
CatsRom wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:43 am
I am new. Didn’t know that, I’ll be better!

The foot was certainly public with him missing games, but didn’t know if he would be shut down indefinitely.
The "i" word.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7421
Thank you for the direction. I will not post this going forward. I did not know about that overarching rule, but makes sense.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:47 pm

We got a call once from an upset basketball coach. Jason Morton had broken his jaw (in practice, I think) and it was wired. A student posted on the board about the injury, the wired jaw, the liquid diet, and that he might not play. Coach didn't want an opponent to have that info. Fair. I think that was just before the game at College of Charleston that Jason won on a buzzer-beater.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:43 pm

Tough young man.

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:01 am

Do we know for sure that Skogman and Kochera have additional eligibility after this season and, if so, have they indicated whether or not they plan to return next season?
Esse Quam Videri

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:58 am

Skogman, Kochera, and Huffman started college basketball in 2020-21, and this is the 4th season for all three. Theirs is the last class to qualify for a COVID year, and any or all of them can come back or play another year somewhere else.

Will they come back? Either Matt and staff are failing badly with filling next year's recruiting class (1 signee, and he's going to take a redshirt year), they are holding schollies back for the transfer portal, or all of our schollies are already committed. You be the judge.

Speaking of playing somewhere else, Mike Jones is shooting 44.7% from three for the Cardinal, Lee is at 40.5% for Iliwarra, and Des is at 40.5% for the Ramblers. Sigh.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:23 pm

Thanks for the update on those three fine lads. I hope they all return, however, I'll be a bit surprised if at least one doesn't move on.
Esse Quam Videri

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:35 pm

ScootCat wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:23 pm
Thanks for the update on those three fine lads. I hope they all return, however, I'll be a bit surprised if at least one doesn't move on.
Grant is pre-med. Medical school admission is super competitive, so you'd best take your slot when you get it. If he gets an acceptance, he will almost certainly leave.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

JCDC

Post by JCDC » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:13 pm

We can write letters of recomendation if Grant can fix Skogman's problem, the one we're not talking about.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:22 pm

What incentives (or inducements) are there for players to hang around for another year?
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:45 am

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:35 pm
ScootCat wrote:
Grant is pre-med. Medical school admission is super competitive, so you'd best take your slot when you get it. If he gets an acceptance, he will almost certainly leave.
If I'm not mistaken, Grant has a job offer after graduation. I imagine he's either going to take the job or go play a grad year elsewhere. I am of the impression (from many) that of the group, Kochera plans to return.

Due to a lack of grad school at Davidson, student-athletes can't just randomly decide to take another year at Davidson, even if they have eligibility. You can do so, but it must be worked out well in advance.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:37 am

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:45 am
DC69Wildcat wrote:
ScootCat wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, Grant has a job offer after graduation. I imagine he's either going to take the job or go play a grad year elsewhere. I am of the impression (from many) that of the group, Kochera plans to return.

Due to a lack of grad school at Davidson, student-athletes can't just randomly decide to take another year at Davidson, even if they have eligibility. You can do so, but it must be worked out well in advance.
Grant spent last summer as an intern for Stryker, a huge medical/surgical equipment company. I suspect this is the source of his job offer. If he is intent on medical school, he has some options in case he isn't accepted straight out of college. This is actually a common occurrence these days, as many med schools like to see some research or work experience after college. Back in my day, with the Vietnam war still raging, a prospective MD didn't dare risk a gap year unless you had a safe draft number. One of my Duke classmates flew F-4 Phantoms off an aircraft carrier in the Gulf of Tonkin prior to med school.

loosha's lad

Post by loosha's lad » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:02 am

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:37 am
collegecoach8502 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:45 am
DC69Wildcat wrote:
ScootCat wrote:

Grant spent last summer as an intern for Stryker, a huge medical/surgical equipment company. I suspect this is the source of his job offer. If he is intent on medical school, he has some options in case he isn't accepted straight out of college. This is actually a common occurrence these days, as many med schools like to see some research or work experience after college. Back in my day, with the Vietnam war still raging, a prospective MD didn't dare risk a gap year unless you had a safe draft number. One of my Duke classmates flew F-4 Phantoms off an aircraft carrier in the Gulf of Tonkin prior to med school.
Maybe it's still the case, but wasn't there a Davidson alumnus/a that was CEO of Stryker in recent years?

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:32 am

Kochera plays hard at both ends of the court, and has noticeably improved his game. Grant and Skog will be sorely missed if they move on. Go Cats!
Esse Quam Videri

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:11 pm

ScootCat wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:32 am
Kochera plays hard at both ends of the court, and has noticeably improved his game. Grant and Skog will be sorely missed if they move on. Go Cats!
It's not "if".

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:33 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:37 am
Back in my day, with the Vietnam war still raging, a prospective MD didn't dare risk a gap year unless you had a safe draft number. One of my Duke classmates flew F-4 Phantoms off an aircraft carrier in the Gulf of Tonkin prior to med school.
A classmate of mine went to Harvard Law School straight out of Davidson. He had not done Advanced ROTC, so when the draft laws changed, he did NROTC at Harvard. It was a time of war protests, so very few undergrads there did any ROTC flavor. Almost everyone in the program was in med school or law school. My number was high enough that I didn't need deferments for which I was eligible. My draft board classified me 1-A. If you stayed in that for a year without being drafted, then you were exempt for all practical purposes. I recently found out that my friend from New York was in the same situation. Then after a few years in the parish, he became a chaplain in the Navy.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ