Season Over

2012 SoCon Regular Season Champs!
RichmondCat

Season Over

Post by RichmondCat » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:55 pm

This season, which started so magically before a series of injuries so numerous as to beggar belief, is over. This team was so talented, so good and brought so many tremendous joy. I want to commend the players and the coaching staff for their incredible fight, resiliency and passion for the game. This was the finest WBB team I have seen play at Davidson and this is a special team that should be remembered as one of the great Davidson basketball teams of all time. Thank you to everyone associated with the program for representing Davidson so well.

MrMac

Re: Season Over

Post by MrMac » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:14 pm

Sadness for players, their families, and their fans. Pride, also.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:59 pm

Just abject sadness for all associated with the program.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:16 pm

"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:17 pm

The Observer didn't cover our games, but they are all over this story.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:22 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:17 pm
Guess I’m glad I can’t read it, paywall.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:33 pm

wildforthecats wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:22 pm
DC69Wildcat wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:17 pm
Guess I’m glad I can’t read it, paywall.
The only thing the Observer added to the statement from the college was Chris Clunie's final tally of season-ending injuries: 6. I haven't heard anything about Maddie's diagnosis/prognosis from her injury Tuesday night, but even a mild knee strain is a minimum of 4-6 weeks recovery and rehab. When they go down holding the knee, it's pretty much always bad.

JCDC

Post by JCDC » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:38 pm

Really a shame.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:06 pm

If I see a player or coach tomorrow, they are getting hug.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:10 pm

https://davidsonwildcats.com/news/2024/ ... -24-season

It's a sad day for our women's basketball team. Totally understandable and the right decision. Watching them play to a 12-1 start was incredibly enjoyable. Despite huge wins, watching the determination and dedication the team made these last few weeks made me extremely proud and honored that I get to cover them all season.

I know the conversation can be centered around the idea of what could have been, but the respect I have for these ladies far surpasses whatever wins we could have accumulated. They gave their all - both physically and emotionally. If you were at the game Wednesday against George Washington, you understand that they gave everything they had, but there was nothing left to go forward.

Despite the fact that many will look at this team and the 2023-24 season as what could have been, I choose to remember them with love and respect for what they gave.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:34 pm

Well said, CC.

Ursa Midmajor

Post by Ursa Midmajor » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:17 pm

It was a national story on The Athletic this morning. The comments descended into politics. Pretty typical of the national discourse: Red blooded America Texas A&M toughed it out. Woke Davidson quit on the season. At least some commentators were familiar with Davidson and pointed out the slight difference in the size of the student bodies. At least they didn’t say Davidson University.
Last edited by Ursa Midmajor on Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one is Steph Curry” ~ Draymond Green

Ursa Midmajor

Post by Ursa Midmajor » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:20 pm

It was a national story on The Athletic this morning. The comments descended into politics. Pretty typical of the national discourse: Red blooded America TCU toughed it out. Woke Davidson quit on the season. At least some commentators were familiar with Davidson and pointed out the slight difference in the size of the student bodies. They score points for not saying Davidson University.
Last edited by Ursa Midmajor on Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"No one is Steph Curry” ~ Draymond Green

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:12 pm

Good point. Good point.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:23 pm

Ursa Midmajor wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:20 pm
It was a national story on The Athletic this morning. The comments descended into politics. Pretty typical of the national discourse: Red blooded America Texas A&M toughed it out. Woke Davidson quit on the season. At least some commentators were familiar with Davidson and pointed out the slight difference in the size of the student bodies. They score points for not saying Davidson University.
I have a subscription to The Athletic through the NYT. I can read the article, which doesn't include any new information, but I can't get more than 3 comments to come up, which is probably a blessing.