It has come to this - Camelot is Gone

Feel free to discuss Davidson issues not related to athletics. Please use decorum and good judgment.
slowcat95

Re: It has come to this - Camelot is Gone

Post by slowcat95 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:05 pm

MLC67 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:43 pm
This pernicious narrative that all whites are oppressors and all blacks are oppressed victims is a lie. No matter how overblown the race war mongers spew this divisive propaganda without any data supporting it, everyone of good faith knows the truth.
If that's what you take from it, that's a you problem
she/hers

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:48 pm

Maybe we can agree on this: Camelot never was.

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:47 pm

Still must disagree Mac, hopefully without being disagreeable, but in my heart since 1964 Camelot was very real to me.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:56 pm

MLC67 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:47 pm
Still must disagree Mac, hopefully without being disagreeable, but in my heart since 1964 Camelot was very real to me.
But 1964 for you was likely very different compared to 1964 for other students, and for many, many more young Black men who never even got the chance to be students simply because they were Black in the South in 1964.

White privilege is what allowed you to have a Camelot.
she/hers

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:08 pm

Sorry, “Dorothy” but this isn’t 1964 anymore. In 2024, as it has been for several decades, blacks have had no barriers to admission to Camelot, more so some might think with our school’s focus on diversity and inclusion.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:44 pm

Fascinating, hilarious, and bogus.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:07 pm

MLC67 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:08 pm
Sorry, “Dorothy” but this isn’t 1964 anymore. In 2024, as it has been for several decades, blacks have had no barriers to admission to Camelot, more so some might think with our school’s focus on diversity and inclusion.
Are you not shaped today by the experiences you were allowed in 1964? Are you not more well off for having attended this fine college 60 years ago? Does that not advantage you over others who were not granted similar privileges back then?
she/hers

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:09 pm

There are many barriers to achievement.

IIRC there is a greater correlation between high income and high test scores than just about any other factor. Poverty, poorly educated parents, single parent households, incarcerated parents, and tons of other issues can make it harder for kids to do their best. I think it’s factually correct to say that those issues affect the black community more than the white community. The fact that some overcome these issues and thrive doesn’t mean that the barriers don’t exist.

I’ve inherited property. Someone whose ancestors did not have the opportunity to accumulate wealth will not inherit much.

America’s social structure held down blacks in the past. Identifiable vestiges of that past remain and must be overcome for blacks to prosper today. It’s not impossible, but it’s certainly not easy.

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:01 am

The absurdity of this blacks as victims narrative pales in comparison to the more than a century ban on women enrolling at Davidson. The women’s total barrier to admission must have disadvantaged thousands of young scholars from the privilege of being a life long member of the Camelot community. What “reparations” do we white males owe to all women not admitted before the early 1970’s?

Esse Quam Videri

jamesdhogan

Post by jamesdhogan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:36 pm

"Your honor, the witness opened the door, and I merely walked through it."
The artist formerly known as Freehold.

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:25 pm

jamesdhogan wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:36 pm
:D
she/hers

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:53 pm

MLC67 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:01 am
The absurdity of this blacks as victims narrative pales in comparison to the more than a century ban on women enrolling at Davidson. The women’s total barrier to admission must have disadvantaged thousands of young scholars from the privilege of being a life long member of the Camelot community. What “reparations” do we white males owe to all women not admitted before the early 1970’s?
Autonomy over their own bodies and pay equity would be good places to start.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:39 pm

My sister in law’s mother was one of 5 children who grew up on the outer banks. When her grandfather died he left the ocean front motel to one son. He left Oden’s Pier (fishing) to another son. He left the oil company in Manteo to the 3rd son. Each of the girls got $1000. I guess they were expected to marry well.

My mother in law went back to work after my wife reached school age. She took a clerical position w the Randolph County Schools. Over the years they gave her more and more to do. Eventually she went to boiler school, supervised the maintenance staff and gave them their assignments, was in charge of purchasing everything from heating oil to water treatment chemicals for schools on well water. She was the first woman president of the North Carolina School Maintenance Association. Her pay rose, but not at the same rate as her responsibilities. When she retired they replaced her with a man w a 4 year degree and gave him a full time secretary.

cat44

Post by cat44 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:59 pm

jamesdhogan wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:36 pm
I agree with your statement but not for the reason you wrote it.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:00 pm

Several years back the head of one of Japan’s largest companies was asked about equal pay for equal work, and whether hiss company would be moving toward that.

He said that if women would do their jobs the best they could, then karma would take care of that.

After I thought about that a bit, I took it to mean that if a woman performed faithfully in this life, she would come back next time as a man and make more money.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ