It has come to this - Camelot is Gone

Feel free to discuss Davidson issues not related to athletics. Please use decorum and good judgment.
slowcat95

Re: It has come to this - Camelot is Gone

Post by slowcat95 » Thu May 09, 2024 2:10 pm

Guns suck, but traffic violence causes more deaths and catastrophic injuries in the US than guns, and Black people suffer disproportionately greater harm from traffic violence than any other demographic.

Ya know why? Structural racism is why. We rammed highways through their neighborhoods. We delay investments in sidewalks and crosswalks on roads in lower income areas, then we over-police people of color when they try to bike or walk on those roads. Through redlining (which still exists, just not explicitly) we deny people of color opportunities to build the intergenerational wealth that would allow them to move to safer, healthy neighborhoods.

Structural racism is a thing. It's probably not your fault. But it's still a thing.
she/hers

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu May 09, 2024 2:46 pm

slowcat95 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:10 pm
Guns suck, but traffic violence causes more deaths and catastrophic injuries in the US than guns, and Black people suffer disproportionately greater harm from traffic violence than any other demographic.

Ya know why? Structural racism is why. We rammed highways through their neighborhoods. We delay investments in sidewalks and crosswalks on roads in lower income areas, then we over-police people of color when they try to bike or walk on those roads. Through redlining (which still exists, just not explicitly) we deny people of color opportunities to build the intergenerational wealth that would allow them to move to safer, healthy neighborhoods.

Structural racism is a thing. It's probably not your fault. But it's still a thing.
There are sins of commission and sins of omission, according my pastors when i was growing up. Electing people who don’t do anything about these things (or even deny they exist or even forbid teaching about them) is a collective fault.

As with many things, the cure is trickier than was the cause. Even if the obstacles to moving to safer neighborhoods in better school districts are otherwise over come, the family is likely moving away from support systems, such as grandparents’ assistance with child care and relationships in faith communities.

And speaking of schools, it’s oversimplifying I realize, but we have good schools and bad schools in part because we tolerate that. Giving rich people vouchers for their kids’ private schools doesn’t change that. (And there have been bad private schools around here and some bad charter schools not that far away, according parents I know.) We make excuses like diversity of population and income levels. Among the best public schools in the world are in Finland where they have two or three official languages (depending upon region, and a lot more unrelated than English and Spanish), vastly different cultures, and record high immigration, mostly from Russia, Turkey, and the Philippines. But having some good and some bad public schools is a foreign concept to them. Our system of property values in part depends upon the school disparity. And I realize I’m on the winning side of that. I saw today that a house down the street from mine is listed for $1.5M.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

cat44

Post by cat44 » Thu May 09, 2024 4:58 pm

I am generalizing. but people can choose to be victors or they can choose to be victims. Don Miguel Ruiz wrote "The Four Agreements" over a 1/4 century ago. Every person can choose to, or not to, practice them. His four agreements are: Be impeccable with your word; don't take anything personally; don't make assumptions; and always do your best.

Victors invariably do those four things; victims don't.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu May 09, 2024 6:03 pm

Certainly people can make the best of bad situations and come out better. That doesn’t excuse those who promote or support the bad situations. It does make heroic those who come out OK against things I’ve never had to face.

And, yes, there are people and groups who seem to have a martyr complex even though they have every advantage and protection.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Thu May 09, 2024 7:25 pm

stevelee wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:46 pm
slowcat95 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:10 pm
There are sins of commission and sins of omission, according my pastors when i was growing up. Electing people who don’t do anything about these things (or even deny they exist or even forbid teaching about them) is a collective fault.

This is very true and good to point out
We are all implicit if we are not trying to fix it
she/hers

cat44

Post by cat44 » Fri May 10, 2024 11:21 am

complicit?

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri May 10, 2024 11:44 am

cat44 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 11:21 am
complicit?
Apparently. I was too polite to point that out.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Fri May 10, 2024 11:53 am

stevelee wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 11:44 am
cat44 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 11:21 am
complicit?
Apparently. I was too polite to point that out.
It's been a long week, but at least I didn't engage in victim blaming.
she/hers

TheJaffe

Post by TheJaffe » Fri May 10, 2024 12:46 pm

cat44 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 4:58 pm
people can choose to be victors or they can choose to be victims.
As I say to every hungry 4-year-old I encounter: "Looks like someone is choosing to be a victim today. Do we want to maybe make a better choice? ... Yeah? Then let's try choosing victory instead." Having successfully converted yet another victim into a victor, I walk away from that hungry child with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.

Would one rather be a murder victim, or a murder victor? The choice is yours.

cat44

Post by cat44 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:55 pm

TheJaffe wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 12:46 pm
cat44 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 4:58 pm
people can choose to be victors or they can choose to be victims.
As I say to every hungry 4-year-old I encounter: "Looks like someone is choosing to be a victim today. Do we want to maybe make a better choice? ... Yeah? Then let's try choosing victory instead." Having successfully converted yet another victim into a victor, I walk away from that hungry child with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.

Would one rather be a murder victim, or a murder victor? The choice is yours.
If that absurd allusion makes you feel better about yourself, good for you.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Fri May 10, 2024 5:35 pm

I think this thread has reached its expiration date.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Fri May 10, 2024 6:22 pm

catnhat wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 5:35 pm
I think this thread has reached its expiration date.
Two months past, I'd say. Time for some Limericks.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri May 10, 2024 11:53 pm

There was a young lady from Perth …

(That came to mind during a women’s game, but I couldn’t think of anything that made sense. Of course there is the old one about the guy who was born on the day of his birth, etc.)
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

jamesdhogan

Post by jamesdhogan » Mon May 13, 2024 10:54 am

stevelee wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 11:53 pm
There was a young lady from Perth …

(That came to mind during a women’s game, but I couldn’t think of anything that made sense. Of course there is the old one about the guy who was born on the day of his birth, etc.)
ChatGPT produced this in a few seconds:

There was a young lady from Perth,
Who treasured her basketball's worth.
At Davidson's court,
She played with such sport,
And cheered 'til her voice showed no mirth!
The artist formerly known as Freehold.