No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
Rudy2011

Post by Rudy2011 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:06 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:Judging by the length of some of the words, it must take a long time to say anything in Welsh (as in Olde Entish.)
Do Welsh people refuse to say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say?
Carthago delenda est

I say we drink the wine, eat the dogs, and use the papers for musket wadding.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:10 pm

Rudy2011 wrote:
Dr. Bliss wrote:Judging by the length of some of the words, it must take a long time to say anything in Welsh (as in Olde Entish.)
Do Welsh people refuse to say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say?
Some people would say that about me.

My last name, with only a single part-time vowel, would identify me as being of Welsh heritage.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

citycat

Post by citycat » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:17 pm

The story CA posted sounds similar to the story from 1996 where a caller from New Mexico called the office in Atlanta where USA residents were supposed to buy tickets to the Summer Olympics.

The person who answered his call told him she couldn't sell him tickets because he wasn't in the US. Eventually, he was transferred to her supervisor, who told him, "Old Mexico, New Mexico, it doesn't matter. You need to call your country's Olympic Committee."

I heard a recording of the call.

Whichever Shakespeare play features Owen Glendower gave me the willies when I saw it on PBS as a teenager. Not as scary as the flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz, though.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:44 pm

My brother was teaching an American Lit class at a Texas university. He passed out the syllabus on the first day of class and called attention to the fact that the semester would begin with the literature of New England. One (blond) raised her hand and said, Professor xyz, I thought this was an American Lit class?!

Speedy

Post by Speedy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:24 pm

I went on a trip with Davidson Outdoors once. After a ridiculously cold campout, we stopped at a convenience store in the mountains for snacks and hot drinks. As a college student, I was too broke and too dumb to carry much cash on me, but I did happen to have in my pocket a few JFK dollar coins I'd gotten as change from the post office. When I presented them at the counter, the cashier said, boredly, "we only take American money here." "That's JFK on those coins!" I exclaimed. She responded, still bored, "who's that"?

Ed Daugherty bailed me out with some more acceptable legal tender.

citycat

Post by citycat » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:50 pm

The Post Office loves to hand out those JFK coins. I used to buy stamps from a machine and it would give me those for change. I would take them to a Bojangle's where I eat twice a week. They would look at me skeptically when I would give them 5 of those and insist they weren't quarters. One time the manager measured them carefully against a quarter.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:38 am

They took away our stamp machine at the Davidson PO about the same time as they did away with some other conveniences and added a lengthy speech each person at the counter had to say. They even put up a sign that said in effect not to complain to us since this is not our idea.

I once used a dollar coin to pay a 25-cent toll, and had to prompt the guy to give me change. Last time I was at Monticello they gave two dollar bills when they made change. I don't think many banks even keep them on hand any more. Many countries have discontinued their equivalent of the dollar bill and the penny.

A friend and colleague used to have a bumper sticker on his car that said, "You can always tell a Welshman, but not much."
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:25 pm

"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:27 pm

Not even Jordan would overpay for a team-killer like Dwight Howard. But it sure would be funny if he does.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:30 pm

The really stupid thing is that some team will probably pay him $20 million+. The Warriors tried to sign him in 2013 ... I doubt they will try this time.

seamac77

Post by seamac77 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:33 pm

TOK

Post by TOK » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:00 pm

I have heard it said that if house cats were bigger, they would eat us.

I believe it, our cats like to bite me when they have been petted enough, or not petted properly or are just bored.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:27 am

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... ress-vici/

The good news is that Maxwell Kupchak's UCSB Gauchos are looking good in the Top 144: http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/13383

eljefegrande

Post by eljefegrande » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:20 pm

I feel like this belongs here, on multiple levels.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/07/28/rep ... -well-duh/
Where it began, I can't begin to knowin'.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:07 pm