No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:41 pm

"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Johnson wrote:you all appear to be just a lovely bunch.
?
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:16 pm

stan wrote:Parents who send a son to Amherst are committing parental malpractice.
I'll file a complaint right after work.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

quickcat

Post by quickcat » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:14 pm

Waitress understands the evil of men :wink:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wai ... tive-team/

stan

Post by stan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:14 pm

I don't think I'd pay 65 grand a year for this silliness. http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2016/ ... ign=buffer
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:56 pm

"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:17 pm

https://www.facebook.com/tom.bradbury.1 ... 6697292633

If you don't have Facebook, here the story:

"The most perfect thing I have ever seen just happened on the replacement train bus service between Newport and Cwmbran:
White man sat in front of a mother and her son. Mother was wearing a niqab. After about 5 minutes of the mother talking to her son in another language the man, for whatever reason, feels the need to tell the woman "When you're in the UK you should really be speaking English."
At which point, an old woman in front of him turns around and says, "She's in Wales. And she's speaking Welsh."
Perfect."

nalotze

Post by nalotze » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:51 pm

i77cat wrote:https://www.facebook.com/tom.bradbury.1 ... 6697292633

If you don't have Facebook, here the story:

"The most perfect thing I have ever seen just happened on the replacement train bus service between Newport and Cwmbran:
White man sat in front of a mother and her son. Mother was wearing a niqab. After about 5 minutes of the mother talking to her son in another language the man, for whatever reason, feels the need to tell the woman "When you're in the UK you should really be speaking English."
At which point, an old woman in front of him turns around and says, "She's in Wales. And she's speaking Welsh."
Perfect."
I was on some form of public transport. Probably a train, but it might've been a bus.

Anyway, on this train there was a nice person and a nasty person, and the nasty person said something nasty to the nice person.

But then a third person said something cuttingly witty that made the nasty person look quite the fool.

Please share this lots and lots so you get to enjoy some weird reflected glory from this real thing that really happened.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:59 pm

So, you figure it is a made up tale?

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:41 pm

Once when I was riding in the Carolinian, I was seated next to a woman originally from some Latin American country. (I've forgotten which.) she was on her way back home to the DC area after visiting her family in Charlotte and looking after grandchildren. We had a pleasant off and on conversation until she overheard people in front of us speaking Spanish with an accent she recognized as that of her native land. When their conversation ended she turned back to me. Eventually she recognized my bewildered expression, and realized she was still speaking her home version of Spanish.

I didn't think to point out that we were on the Carolinian, and that she should speak to me in my native Carolinian.

I have ridden a train in Wales. I enjoyed passing through stations in little towns where the sign with the name looked as big as the town. Many of them needed to buy more vowels.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

nalotze

Post by nalotze » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:30 am

i77cat wrote:So, you figure it is a made up tale?
Sounds like it.

nalotze

Post by nalotze » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:40 am

I'm a linguist working in the Gulf, and it just sounds fishy. The part of Wales where it supposedly happened doesn't have a lot of Welsh speakers in the first place. Maybe the mother was a Welsh-speaking convert, but it would be extremely unusual for her to be wearing a niqab. And I can't imagine a scenario where a family who are originally from this part of the world would be speaking Welsh together instead of Arabic or Urdu.

Like the poster said, it's a little too "perfect."

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:23 pm

It seems like these types of stories are often fantasies . The first clue was identifying the race of the "bad person" as white in the first word after the set up. And I'm not sure why that makes it "the most perfect thing".

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:28 pm

https://plus.google.com/+KenForeman/posts/bGiHYU2G8hW

Apparently this sort of story is an internet trope.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:44 pm

Judging by the length of some of the words, it must take a long time to say anything in Welsh (as in Olde Entish.)
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx