No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
catnhat

Post by catnhat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:08 pm

Every school recruiting against CofC will make sure the kid has seen the 50 page report. Nobody will sign with them if they have another decent DI offer.

Wojcik is a dead man coaching, so to speak.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:22 pm

And somehow they whipped us. At our house. With Willis Hall looking like the King of the World.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

MadelastCut

Post by MadelastCut » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:46 pm

Not satisfied in just inflicting IRS tyrant, John Koskinen, on America, this week Duke University compelled the John Wayne estate into competing federal court trademark litigation by asserting that the Estate's marketing of "DUKE" bourbon (each bottle bearing the name and likeness of the deceased Wayne himself) "dilutes, diminishes and taints" the similar trademarks held by the University, including the blue devil mascot.

As Wayne's son stated in announcing the filing of this lawsuit - the proposition that anyone purchasing DUKE bourbon would confuse this iconic man, this American giant of the big screen, this legend of American patriotism with Dick Nixon's school was absolutely "preposterous".

The University has reportedly offered to settle the case by agreeing to Wayne's estate marketing its bourbon under the brand name "Francis Marion whiskey".

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:30 pm

The lawyers among you can speak to this better than I, but I gather up to a point Duke has to defend its trademarks or lose them, even when the case seems to defy common sense. Maybe Davidson should join with The Ruth Harley Center or The Harley Lab to sue a cycle maker.
"Francis Marion whiskey"
Serve it with swamp water? How about "Marion Morrison Whiskey"?
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Francis Marion put a certain amount of vinegar in his canteen with the water. Supposedly it was a Roman trick. I think the acid in the vinegar prevents bad stuff from flourishing in the water. It probably prevents scurvy too.

I doubt that vinegar would help bourbon.

MadelastCut

Post by MadelastCut » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:25 pm

Hey now, don't think of this Duke University settlement offer as just another MLC gaffe - after all, it was their preposterous settlement proposal, not mine. Besides those two American icons were most probably related by marriage.

DCFirst

Post by DCFirst » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:17 pm

Even though I'm also a Duke U. alum (MBA), their money-grubbing ways never cease to amaze me. In keeping with that theme, one has to wonder if Duke U. first tried to get a piece of the profit from the sales of the liquor; and failing that profitably self-serving outcome, only then did they they choose to sue. After all, that money might have helped them pay off what was, no doubt, a costly settlement of their mishandling of the Lacrosse debacle. Of course, the amount of the Duke U. portion of that settlement was never released if I recall correctly.

wchDr

Post by wchDr » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:57 pm

catnhat wrote:Francis Marion put a certain amount of vinegar in his canteen with the water. Supposedly it was a Roman trick. I think the acid in the vinegar prevents bad stuff from flourishing in the water. It probably prevents scurvy too.

I doubt that vinegar would help bourbon.
I've had bourbon while eating barbecue and it was more than fine. Maybe the presence of pork makes everything better.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:15 pm

Hmmm. There's a ripe tomato on the windowsill. BLTs may be in my future.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:43 am

I looked at the App state board to see what (Slywell) J. Fox is up to. The kid PJ Hairston punched has supposedly been offered a scholarship to App. He was on their radar long before the incident. Presbyterian should be all over him.

A long time ago I saw "The Sly Fox" on Broadway. Robert Preston played Slywell J. Fox. George C. Scott also played the role.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:07 pm

Back in the days of sailing ships, black water from NC swamps was preferred for long ocean voyages. The tannins in the water kept it fresh.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:32 pm

wchDr wrote:I've had bourbon while eating barbecue and it was more than fine. Maybe the presence of pork makes everything better.
TGIFriday's uses Jack Daniels in the BBQ sauce. I was last there on a day when the ribs are on special. They were really good. I believe there were also grilled shrimp in my combo, unless I'm confusing it with a more recent meal.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:07 pm

stevelee wrote:
wchDr wrote:I've had bourbon while eating barbecue and it was more than fine. Maybe the presence of pork makes everything better.
TGIFriday's uses Jack Daniels in the BBQ sauce. I was last there on a day when the ribs are on special. They were really good. I believe there were also grilled shrimp in my combo, unless I'm confusing it with a more recent meal.
Did you just use TGIFriday's and "BBQ sauce" in the same sentence?

If you left, you need to come back to NC and be reeducated. If you still live here, you should stop watching whatever TV you watch, and get thee to Lexington No. 1 or Wilber's, stat.
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:12 pm

I am either agnostic or unitarian (whichever way you look at it) in terms of barbecue. I tend to like whatever kind I have. I like some better than others. I don't confuse "barbecue sauce" with barbecue, I almost never use the word as a verb, and I certainly wouldn't use it as a noun referring to an outdoor cooking device.

If I can get to Lexington or to Stamey's in Tyro (if it's still there) or Whispering Pines in Albemarle, those are my preferences. In Shelby my cousin and I go to Alston's when I'm in town.

Six or eight years ago I did a barbecue-eating tour of the Kansas City area.

My mother used to fix barbecued chicken from time to time. I didn't much care for it in those days, but my parents both enjoyed it enough for me not to gripe too much. Then on Saturday night, we'd pick up a bunch of sandwiches at Alston's. It didn't bother me that we used more or less the same word to describe two very different things. We do that sort of thing in English all the time.

I spent four years in Dallas. I liked the beef brisket as well as the Mongolian barbecue on Greenville Ave. Years later I found the pork brisket in Oklahoma reminded me a bit of home.

Tim and I have been known to stop at Maurice's on the way home from Charleston.

If I'd ever slow down from going more distant places, I'd take a few days to do an eastern NC barbecue tour.

Last week a classmate and I went to Macs and had pulled pork. We tried out all of the sauces. Some are much better than others.

So burn me at the stake for heresy. Hickory wood preferred.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:12 pm

I'm with stevelee here. I love NC barbecue, and I have eaten a lot of it. I have no preference of eastern vs western. I grew up in Statesville, and in those days a stop at Jimmy Blackwelder's in Salisbury was a slice (or a pulled piece) of heaven. Today my "home court" is Gary's in China Grove, serving Lexington style pulled pork. I always stop at Wilber's in Goldsboro on my way to the Crystal Coast, no matter the time of day, and I will go out of my way on I-40 to make a lunch stop at Lexington #1. Bridges in Shelby is great. Sonny's chain is awful and an embarrassment to NC's reputation. I ate at the Blue Mist in Asheboro once. The best NC BBQ I've ever had was at a pig picking at Tom Earnhardt's house on Harkers Island. The pit master used an eastern style mop sauce.

Having offered my barbecue bona fides, I have to say that the best barbecue sandwich I have ever eaten or probably ever will eat comes from Ridgewood Barbecue in Bluff City, TN. The only similarities to NC cue are that it is smoked pork and it is delicious. I know this borders close to heresy, but their sliced beef sandwich is just as good. Ridgewood is an East Tennessee institution, and best of all, it's only about 5 miles from the best trout water in the Southeast.
http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Over ... d-barbecue
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''