No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:55 pm

Hopefully, Wojcik will learn from his mistakes and the Cougar program will get back on track. I like the rivalry with these guys.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:39 pm

I doubt he'll be a head coach again.

NYStateOfMind

Post by NYStateOfMind » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:06 pm

catnhat wrote:I doubt he'll be a head coach again.
He will be coaching again by next season at the latest. This isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. His actions happen in 90% of the DI gyms in America.

Whether it is right or wrong, it is common practice and he will be a DI assistant, perhaps by the beginning of the season.

Rudy2011

Post by Rudy2011 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:23 pm

Regardless, he will always have a regular season non-conference win over Davidson to keep him warm at night.

.250 isn't a terrible batting average
Carthago delenda est

I say we drink the wine, eat the dogs, and use the papers for musket wadding.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:30 pm

He was more impressive against Davidson than Kresse was. We owned that guy.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:28 pm

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ing-iphone

That final sentence was a bit harsh.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:30 pm

citycat

Post by citycat » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:28 pm

This was announced yesterday and the VCU board has 17 pages of comments.

DCFirst

Post by DCFirst » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:18 pm

Yes, this type of thing is unfortunate, obviously could happen almost anywhere, but sadly is more common in certain large university-type environments. Take UNC-Chapel Hill, for example, or University of Kentucky, or now VCU, etc., etc., etc. It's simply a byproduct of the "big school" pro-athletics, non-academics emphasis that has become commonplace and downright systemic in so many of the NCAA programs -- the ones where self-policing is hypothetical and non-existent and where the NCAA runs the other way until conditions get so publicly bad that they're forced to respond. Wouldn't college sports be so much different and better if the NCAA took an aggressive, zero-tolerance approach at these schools and in the spirit of being fair did it from the beginning with each new incoming class of athletes? Until a meaningful, forward-thinking approach is adopted, things will only get worse with the NCAA continuing its current slide toward total ncaa embarrassment and with athletes getting mere wrist-slaps when they need to know upfront that real attention-getting longer-term suspensions will occur when they make serious mistakes .

rbarney

NCAA?

Post by rbarney » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:33 pm

I don't believe the answer to this problem will ever be found in the NCAA. They consider themselves the administrators of college athletics, not collegiate academics. The lower the academic standards, the more likely the program will yield either embarrassments like this or "one-and-outs" who use the college athletic program as a minor league to the pros. The ultimate solution has to be undertaken by the college presidents. Only they can decide whether their athletic programs will be a vital part of the student program or a separate realm of paid representatives. Right now, most of the BSC presidents are either "missing in action" or accessories to the fact.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:36 pm

When I see "zero tolerance" a red flag waves in my brain. In my experience zero tolerance too often means the decision makers refuse to look at all the circumstances when they make a decision.

I've seen 7 year olds suspended from school for sexual harassment for kissing a classmate on the cheek.

In the 80's a Meck. Co. HS football coach pitched a fit, made quite a scene, and was rightly ejected from the game. In response a rule was put in place stating that any coach ejected from a game would be relieved from his coaching duties. Apparently nobody considered that coaches' livelihoods were being placed in the hands of part time officials with varying degrees of judgment and experience. This rule didn't last very long.

I'm sure others have similar stories.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:16 pm

citycat wrote:This was announced yesterday and the VCU board has 17 pages of comments.
Great fan base. That same fan base also raised a huge amount of money for a new practice facility very quickly. They raised $14.5 million of the $25 million total. It'll be ready this time next year.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/lates ... b2370.html

DCFirst

Post by DCFirst » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:39 pm

People can quibble all day about terminology; and yes, of course, there are and always will be instances where "zero tolerance" is used to achieve unjust treatment. That said, zero tolerance in this instance is simply the opposite of the horribly blind indifference that the gutless, money-hungry NCAA practices toward anything that would interfere with producing large sums of money for which these so-called college sports administrators can continue to "skim" their huge, unfair share. Btw, it seems reasonable to assume that the worthless NCAA learned both their morals and their monetary propensities from the Mafia. Btw, RBarney has got the right perspective because many of the big monied athletic conferences are merely misbehaving stepchildren who learned their bad attitudes and worse behaviors from their irresponsible NCAA parents.

TOK

Post by TOK » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:05 am

i77cat wrote:http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ing-iphone

That final sentence was a bit harsh.
"That final sentence was a bit harsh." Now that is some good humor.

Raising academic standards doesn't necessarily raise moral standards. Unfortunately, some people are raised with a "FINDERS KEEPERS" moral code. That doesn't show up on SATs.

Worst example I see of this is seemingly sane people knocking over others to get a foul ball at a baseball game. Why is physical assault OK when a $3 baseball is at stake?

I have been razzed by our radio announcers for muffing all three of my foul ball fielding attempts this baseball season. I don't look at it as a failure because the ball didn't stay in my glove, but rather consider it a success that the ball didn't hit my body. I only wear the glove for self defense. I freely admit I was always terrible at baseball, but i still love to watch the game.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:40 am

citycat wrote:This was announced yesterday and the VCU board has 17 pages of comments.
21 pages now. And locked. But before it got locked, someone posted this bit of ethically bankrupt logic--

"Im not going to read 20 pages of Bri bashing to figure out what we know through back channeling, but is it worth considering that this stolen iPhone is more like a lost and then found and then not returned iphone?...

If you found $100 buck on the ground would you take it to the VCU lost and found or would you pocket that hundo? I was always really confused on how you could claim that someone stole your phone when you in fact found it. In my mind it would only be stolen if you refused to give it back when they hunted you down with the GPS."