No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:30 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote: Image
She got what she asked for.
Last edited by Waitress on Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The earth is round. Two plus two equals four.

~Tip well.

71cat

Post by 71cat » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:14 pm

After reading the UNCC board earlier in the day, I can't tell you how relieved I was to see that the "she" you're referring to is the woman who ordered a cake.
"That little sucker can shoot, man!"
Driesell, C. "Lefty" (1931-)

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:45 pm

71cat, I am all for disambiguation.

~Tip well.

71cat

Post by 71cat » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:26 pm

My family has proudly stood for Disambiguation for more than 300 years
"That little sucker can shoot, man!"
Driesell, C. "Lefty" (1931-)

WildCock

Post by WildCock » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:58 pm

citycat wrote:The way FSU has handled Jameis's issues is the opposite of stupid. They know how to placate and entertain disinterested students who have to loiter on campus for three years before heading off to the NFL.
Not trying to be a grammar nazi here, but the disinterested/uninterested distinction is rapidly fading. Those interested in the preservation of distinctions in meaning within the English language (most Davidson people, I would hope) should be vigilant in correct usage.
Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:15 am

Literally no one cares about word usage anymore.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/15/living/li ... index.html

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:10 am

mccabemi wrote:Literally no one cares about word usage anymore.

An enormity of people literally could care less.

And they are not very far from wrong.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:15 am

WildCock wrote:
citycat wrote:The way FSU has handled Jameis's issues is the opposite of stupid. They know how to placate and entertain disinterested students who have to loiter on campus for three years before heading off to the NFL.
Not trying to be a grammar nazi here, but the disinterested/uninterested distinction is rapidly fading. Those interested in the preservation of distinctions in meaning within the English language (most Davidson people, I would hope) should be vigilant in correct usage.
I like the the word disinterested, but it's harder and harder to find people who have nothing to gain by their decisions. Maybe raptorcat?

See http://books.google.com/books?id=mVcJqKs1isUC&lpg=PA266&dq=garner%20disinterested&pg=PA265#v=onepage&q=garner%20disinterested&f=false

See also
Disinterested and uninterested have a tangled history. Uninterested originally meant impartial, but this sense fell into disuse during the 18th century. About the same time the original sense of disinterested also disappeared, with uninteresteduninterested is still out of use, but the original sense of disinterested revived in the early 20th century. The revival has since been under frequent attack as an illiteracy and a blurring or loss of a useful distinction. Actual usage shows otherwise. Sense 2 of disinterested is still its most frequent sense, especially in edited prose; it shows no sign of vanishing. A careful writer may choose sense 1a of disinterested in preference to uninterested for emphasis <teaching the letters of the alphabet to her wiggling and supremely disinteresteddisinterested has developed a sense (1b), perhaps influenced by sense 1 of the prefix dis-, that contrasts with uninterested <when I grow tired or disinterested
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disinterested

~Tip well.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:47 am

It's like the difference between ignorance and apathy.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

WildCock

From the egg's mouth:

Post by WildCock » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:29 pm

Waitress wrote:
WildCock wrote:
I like the the word disinterested, but it's harder and harder to find people who have nothing to gain by their decisions. Maybe raptorcat?

See http://books.google.com/books?id=mVcJqKs1isUC&lpg=PA266&dq=garner%20disinterested&pg=PA265#v=onepage&q=garner%20disinterested&f=false

See also
Disinterested and uninterested have a tangled history. Uninterested originally meant impartial, but this sense fell into disuse during the 18th century. About the same time the original sense of disinterested also disappeared, with uninteresteduninterested is still out of use, but the original sense of disinterested revived in the early 20th century. The revival has since been under frequent attack as an illiteracy and a blurring or loss of a useful distinction. Actual usage shows otherwise. Sense 2 of disinterested is still its most frequent sense, especially in edited prose; it shows no sign of vanishing. A careful writer may choose sense 1a of disinterested in preference to uninterested for emphasis <teaching the letters of the alphabet to her wiggling and supremely disinteresteddisinterested has developed a sense (1b), perhaps influenced by sense 1 of the prefix dis-, that contrasts with uninterested <when I grow tired or disinterested
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disinterested
Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin

raptorcat

Post by raptorcat » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:26 pm

Waitress wrote:I like the the word disinterested, but it's harder and harder to find people who have nothing to gain by their decisions. Maybe raptorcat?
When I make decisions indicative of my fondness for malt beverages and desserts, I do indeed gain.
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
"I can't be worrying about that sh*t. Life goes on, man."
- Jeff Bridges as The Dude in "The Big Lebowski"

citycat

Post by citycat » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:28 pm

The sort of football players I was talking about, who hang around three years without doing more than dipping a toe into academia, are both uninterested and disinterested.

If they were not disinterested, they would try to stop others from studying or disrupt classes. They are neutral about the academics and the efforts of the students on their campus.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:25 pm

raptorcat wrote:
Waitress wrote:I like the the word disinterested, but it's harder and harder to find people who have nothing to gain by their decisions. Maybe raptorcat?
When I make decisions indicative of my fondness for malt beverages and desserts, I do indeed gain.
During my high school class reunion weekend, one of the people I hung out with a lot is a woman who uses an ultra-low-carb diet to control her diabetes without medication. In that regimen as she understands it, the only alcoholic beverage she can drink is Scotch. At what amounted to after-parties, every time someone offered her some wine, she'd have more Scotch. With her A1c level testing about 5.0, I'm not going to knock it. (While we were discussing the low-carb lifestyle, I was eating peanut M&Ms and drinking white wine.)
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

loosha's lad

Post by loosha's lad » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:19 am

stevelee wrote:
mccabemi wrote:Literally no one cares about word usage anymore.

An enormity of people literally could care less.

And they are not very far from wrong.
Steve, this one is for you:
http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksb ... in-browser

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:43 am

Peanut M&M's with a wine chaser...new Brickhouse pregame menu item?