No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:13 pm

They may need more than a Meagher defense.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:18 pm

i77cat wrote:Well, yes, we expect politicians to lie to us. That's their job. We should expect more from newscasters.
"Tail Gunner Joe" was hardly the first politician in that regard. I don't recall enough history to sort out Tippecanoe.

In a way I think it is sad that we hold politicians to such low standards. I'm not even sure they are the "best men money can buy."

I didn't pay that much attention to the Williams deal. What I think I read was that he didn't report the hyperbole on his show, but rather was bragging on Letterman, an entertainment show on another network, unlike O'Reilly's combat in the Falklands. I didn't even realize that Williams was still doing the NBC network newscast until I saw about this.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:21 pm

i77cat wrote:
JerseyLawyer wrote:A Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom team led by litigation partner Patrick Fitzgerald will represent the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in litigation, accreditation and regulatory matters resulting from a 2014 investigation by Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft attorneys that revealed two decades of academic fraud at the university.
What's stupid about that? I don't know the firms or people referenced. Are they poor choices?
It doesn't look like it, at least for UNC.
https://www.skadden.com/professionals/p ... fitzgerald

This is going to cost them big time. I wonder if Art Pope/Pat McCrory will let them include legal costs in the budget.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:03 pm

They shoulda got Dewey, Cheatham and Howe.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:10 pm

The whitewash will succeed.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:18 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:They shoulda got Dewey, Cheatham and Howe.
Moe, Curly and Larry would be more appropriate.

JerseyLawyer

Post by JerseyLawyer » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:25 pm

Fitzgerald is the former US Attorney in Chicago who put the Mayor away. Big time prosecutor. This is a representation that will cost the unions many millions - even more that they pay Roy

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:20 pm

JerseyLawyer wrote:Fitzgerald is the former US Attorney in Chicago who put the Mayor away. Big time prosecutor. This is a representation that will cost the unions many millions - even more that they pay Roy
Illinois Governor Blagojevich. Chicago mayors are untouchable.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

WildCock

Post by WildCock » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:45 pm

stevelee wrote:
i77cat wrote:Well, yes, we expect politicians to lie to us. That's their job. We should expect more from newscasters.
In a way I think it is sad that we hold politicians to such low standards. I'm not even sure they are the "best men money can buy."
Following one of the [many] corruption scandals in the SC legislature (an FBI sting operation), the Bureau made public their videos of the bribes being accepted. The general reaction in SC was "We're not surprised that our legislators are whores; we're just embarrassed that they're such cheap whores."
Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin

stan

Post by stan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:46 pm

stevelee wrote:
"Tail Gunner Joe" was hardly the first politician in that regard. I don't recall enough history to sort out Tippecanoe.

I didn't pay that much attention to the Williams deal. What I think I read was that he didn't report the hyperbole on his show, but rather was bragging on Letterman, an entertainment show on another network, unlike O'Reilly's combat in the Falklands. I didn't even realize that Williams was still doing the NBC network newscast until I saw about this.
Williams has a very long history of lying about all manner of things. NBC has known and ignored all the BS until it blew up in their faces.

I agree that allowing the most powerful people in the world to trample the civil rights of innocent people is disgusting. But they lie, get caught lying, break the law to cover up the previous lawbreaking, and unless the news media gets exercised, no one cares. Of course, there are a great number of political partisans who frequent this board who not only ignore the lies and crimes, but actively support those who commit them. So what are you going to do? As we saw with the short discussion of the bogus sexual assault narrative, there are many here who do not care about the truth or innocent victims if there is a political narrative to advance. Why should we expect them to care about lying politicians?
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:18 am

Then there was the senator who was reelected even after he cheated on his mistress. I don't recall which of the "family values" guys it was.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

quickcat

Post by quickcat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:08 am

Waitress wrote:
JerseyLawyer wrote:Fitzgerald is the former US Attorney in Chicago who put the Mayor away. Big time prosecutor. This is a representation that will cost the unions many millions - even more that they pay Roy
Illinois Governor Blagojevich. Chicago mayors are untouchable.
Took me reading it twice to see it, but nicely done.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:50 am

One of the whistle blowers has settled her suit against the university (Mary Willingham I believe).

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:51 am

"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:04 am

"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx