Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
stan

Post by stan » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:21 am

Gotta have at least a few athletes. Certainly Bob has shown that we can win with smart, fundamentally sound players who can shoot, handle the ball and fit in a team system. But to compete with the best we need to mix in some athletes -- guys like Max and Andrew and Boris. Or a Wayne Bernard.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:02 pm

Unless JAG or Rusty shoot over 40% from three, it's hard to imagine that Grady will not start. Beyond standing at 6'5" and being a great athlete, he is also a knockdown shooter and capable of playing both on and off the ball. Can't keep those skills out of the lineup for long. Grady also plays in one of the best high school leagues in the country and is in his prep year, so he will be old for a freshman coming in.

Along with the two other guards we've recruited, we will have a ton of options for mixing and matching the different skill sets of our guards while also being set for the future, helping mitigate the loss of Jack. But for all the concern about not having the athletes we need to compete at the highest of levels, Grady is that type of player, with Frampton and Collins not far behind (if behind at all).

The present is exciting but the future is also quite bright as well.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:14 pm

stan wrote:Gotta have at least a few athletes. Certainly Bob has shown that we can win with smart, fundamentally sound players who can shoot, handle the ball and fit in a team system. But to compete with the best we need to mix in some athletes -- guys like Max and Andrew and Boris. Or a Wayne Bernard.
You've been away since April until recently. We have this covered and then some for 2017.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:08 pm

2018 PG Foster Loyer (who we offered) just committed to Michigan State. This was not a surprise I believe.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:39 pm

"Forget about the basketball how about having Tom Izzo coach your son as a person." John Loyer dad of Foster Loyer (Michigan State commit)

That's from a Biancardi tweet. High praise. I can think of a place where he could have done even better.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

stan

Post by stan » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:03 pm

wildforthecats wrote:
stan wrote:Gotta have at least a few athletes. Certainly Bob has shown that we can win with smart, fundamentally sound players who can shoot, handle the ball and fit in a team system. But to compete with the best we need to mix in some athletes -- guys like Max and Andrew and Boris. Or a Wayne Bernard.
You've been away since April until recently. We have this covered and then some for 2017.
Not making any judgments about anyone. Merely saying that we always need some athletes.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:08 pm

:D Not sure why having athletes is controversial. The sad fact of the matter is that if I was coaching I'd take better athletes over guys who do the little things right.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:27 am

Steve Rodgers wrote::D Not sure why having athletes is controversial. The sad fact of the matter is that if I was coaching I'd take better athletes over guys who do the little things right.
We usually have a pretty good mixture of both.

BDF

Post by BDF » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:53 am

CatsUpNorth wrote:Unless JAG or Rusty shoot over 40% from three, it's hard to imagine that Grady will not start.
Like I said, if JAG, Rusty and JWat can keep Grady out of the starting lineup, it will be a really good thing. I'm not discounting Grady, I'm imagining the level of play necessary to keep him out of the starting lineup.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:57 am

Two articles and videos covering two Carter Collins games. The first article, a loss, has some nice quotes from the opposing coach about Carter and video of him draining some shots with a nice dunk mixed in (and some not great defense, but he is 17 after all). Second article Collins team won the game and there is more nice video.

http://www.highschoolot.com/southern-du ... /16249620/

http://www.highschoolot.com/collins-32- ... /16255348/

Mephisto

Post by Mephisto » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:21 am

Was trying to check on Luke Frampton's performance and my research indicates the Poca Dots don't open until December 8; that's old school.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:41 pm

BDF wrote:
CatsUpNorth wrote:Unless JAG or Rusty shoot over 40% from three, it's hard to imagine that Grady will not start.
Like I said, if JAG, Rusty and JWat can keep Grady out of the starting lineup, it will be a really good thing. I'm not discounting Grady, I'm imagining the level of play necessary to keep him out of the starting lineup.
Think Steph as a freshman when wondering if Grady will start in the fall of 2017.

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:14 pm

I'm not especially concerned about our athleticism. If we added great athleticism at the wing we'd have all we need this year. Grady, Frampton, and Collins immediately address any concerns for 2017. Fundamentals and length are often a great but not perfect substitute for athleticism. I'm not in the Max was a freakish athlete camp. He was a very good athlete with tremendous length and endless motor. Defensively we see how Jack disrupts the game because of his length. He gets tons of deflections and if he were 6'3 we'd be drooling over ourselves. If we are going to compete against the Clemson's of the world I'd suggest we need an 8-9 man rotation and the previously described cuts that are ongoing in another thread. The rotation is needed to keep the intensity high.

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:09 am

The guys we recruited are better athletes than most of our current and past guard/wings. Every year I hope that trend continues at all positions

TOK

Post by TOK » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:22 am

DCA06 wrote:The guys we recruited are better athletes than most of our current and past guard/wings. Every year I hope that trend continues at all positions
Amen to that!